2.13. The wedding

The wait was over. There were only three weeks left for the wedding since we came back from the journey, but they sure flew. Even though I didn't have a good time, I wanted the days to be longer so I didn't have to confront the reality of a one-sided-love marriage. I tried to convince myself we could fall in love later, because of all the time we would get to spend together. However, I wasn't very good at convincing myself, unfortunately. Every night I would inevitably think of my future and couldn't stop tears from coming out. We even started avoiding each other because looking at our faces just hurt too much. But what was the point of getting married then? We would have to do something about it sooner or later.

The night before the wedding, I came across him on the hallway while we were heading to our rooms to rest. There was no helping it, we were standing in front of each other, we couldn't run away anymore. 

- Good evening, how are you?- he asked.

- Good evening... - I sighed.

- Miss, I know things didn't go as we planned, but as we are getting married tomorrow we should try to get along or it would be meaningless. 

- Why are we even getting married? Just because of the agreement between our families? 

- I do want to, that is why I asked you back there, to know if you wanted it as well- he answered.

I was surprised at his words, he said he wanted to... But he didn't mention anything about feelings... I didn't know what to believe. A ray of hope sneaked into my heart, starting to warm it up.

- But when I asked you about your feelings you didn't answer... you were sad and started acting cold towards me and I have felt miserable ever since.

- My dear- he came close to me and caressed my cheek-, that is because I can't give you an answer on that yet, I needed to reflect on it, that is why I didn't give you as much attention as before, but seeing how you grieved when you looked at me because I couln't give you an answer... I started avoiding you so that you wouldn't have to see me anymore, but I suppose that only made things worse.

- You should have told me you needed some alone time and that it doesn't mean it's not alright between us. You should have told me... I had a very hard time seeing how cold you were towards me, and the thought of marrying someone that doesn't even look at me was devastating. I missed you so much...

I hugged him and he held me tightly, prooving me he felt the same way.

- You don't know how much I missed having you in my arms, looking at your beautiful face and hearing your sweet voice longing for my affection. I couldn't ask for more, and yet, the time has come for you and I to be united and have you by my side always. I am so blessed because of that- he said with the most gentle voice I ever heard.

I couldn't help it any longer. I didn't care anymore about the deal of who would win who's heart, I just wanted to let it all out. I needed to let him know how I felt, just get it out of my chest. 

So I confessed.

- I... I...- I burried my face in his chest and let it all out at once-. I love you! I am in love with you, I have been for a very long time and all I want is you to love me back... I want to marry for love, not compromise. 

- Hmmm... you lost the bet- Edward said with a shade of interest and sarcasm-. That means I decide on the wedding.

- But what does it matter? I love you, I want to get married anyway, if you feel the same- I said, looking at him.

- It matters... You will have to marry me even if my brother shows up, regardless of my feelings and the fact that this is my revenge.

- What?- I stepped back, worried about the situation I was in. What was happening?- Revenge? On Derek?