2.8. Heart thief

Nine months had passed. Only two more months until my birthday and until Derek's deadline. But I was doubting. I hadn't seen Derek all that time and I had spent it with Edward. Even if I hadn't admitted it to him, he knew he was winning me over. But I was not going to let him hear it from me. I just had to hold on for a while longer until Derek came back and I was sure that seeing him would bring back my feelings for him and make me forget about Edward. You may wonder what happened between Edward and me that made it hard to resist. Let's go back to the day I had to say goodbye to Derek and went back on the ship with Edward.

I kept quiet most of the time until we went back home. I only spoke when he asked me to. It had been a month since my birthday by the time we went back. I locked myself in my room for several days. I only let the maid in for food and drink. Edward came every day to say good morning and good night. I heard his voice through the door, but I never opened. Until one day when he knocked and asked me to come out. He reminded me the deal we had of getting to know each other for one year. If I wasn't going to respect it then we would get married in two weeks. I said nothing. I didn't believe he could do it.

- You have until tomorrow. I'll wait for you in the garden tonight. Then you can answer.

That night I looked at the window to see if he was outside. Indeed he was. I wrote my answer on a piece of paper and made a plane with it. Then I threw it towards him. He took it and read it. A few minutes later, he slid a letter that smelled like his perfume and I held it close to my nose before opening it. It smelled so good...

"Dear Jasy,

Let's have it your way. But remember you said one week. If you don't come out, the wedding plan goes on and you will have one week left.

Yours truly,

Edward."

That was an interesting letter. Not really formal, but straight to the point. I smiled. I wanted to see what he was capable of. The game had started and he had accepted to play along. At least I was going to have a bit of fun before the second year was over. Edward wasn't easy to trick, which made it the more interesting. During that week, we communicated with letters slid under the door. Once I noticed he hadn't replied for a while, so I opened the door and saw that the letter was still there. I went to his room to deliver it, but in that moment the door opened and he came out. I got scared, since he wasn't supposed to see me yet. I tried to run away, but he pulled me inside his room and closed the door.

- Do you know what day is it today?- he asked.

- Not really...

- Two weeks have passed and you did't keep your word. Today you become my wife.

He took me to his bed and stood on top of me. I wasn't nearly prepared for that, my heart was beating very fast. I tried to get away, but he held my hands against the mattress.

- Wait, you didn't warn me one week has passed on purpose so that you could have me? That's not fair!

- It's your deal, your job to know how much time has passed.

- Please, I won't do it again, I will keep my word, I will get to know you, I promise. I'm not ready...

- It would be a lot easier for me to take you now. Why should I make the effort of giving you another year?

- Why do you care? You don't love me. The more time spent appart the better.

- I don't need to love you to make you mine. I just have to get used to the idea that you are my future wife and my body responds to that. I can have you, so I will. Nothing's stopping me. Why wait?