11. Game over

Derek was about to tell me something when the captain suddenly gave an announcement:

- We will reach land by tomorrow night, so prepare, we will have lots to do!

Everyone started cheering but Derek looked away with a nostalgic face. I tried to figure out what the problem was but nothing came to mind.

- What's the face?- I asked in the middle of the noise.

- Forgive me... I had no idea how you felt about me... I didn't take you seriously. I'm really sorry.

- Why are you appologising so much? Does it mean that you don't feel the same about me? - I couldn't help turning sad.

- I was your teacher, Jaselly, I always treated you with respect because you were my pupil and you were the daugher of a nobleman... I had a girlfriend... Didn't you know? And you are about to get married!

- So what? I can choose whom I love and no one can make me change that... Unless you tell me you hate me and don't want to know anything about me, that is. Then I will take my heart back and keep it for myself.

- I... - he looked at the helm and changed his face-. Let's talk some other time about this. Can you wait for my answer until, say, tomorrow?

I lowered my gaze, not knowing what to think anymore. I nodded, accepting.

It wasn't like I had any other option. I had to wait although I didn't believe he could love me back.

Next day morning, the captain required my presence at his cabin. He looked serious.

- I recommend you to focus on your "mission" and stop playing around.

- I'm afraid I don't understand- I said in a low voice, a little bit intimidated.

- After we get off the ship, you are going to meet your fiancé and so you must forget about any other man...

- You mean Derek?- It started to get on my nerves.

- You won't see him again. So it might be better for you to start assimilating it so it won't take you by surprise. It is never a nice sight to watch a lady tear appart because of a forbidden love.

He had a melancholic voice as if he knew what he was talking about, as if he were talking about something personal from the past. I could see that he had good intentions and meant no harm with his words. I actually felt sorry for him, it must have not been easy for him to talk about it.

- Thank you for the advice. But it is my decision to make- I said.

He stared at me at first, but then he colsed his eyes and sighed.

- Of course. It's your life. You make a change in it with every decision you make and sometimes there is no turning back. Just be sure to leave no regrets- he smiled-. Dismissed.

I went out and heard his fist against the table. He seemed upset for some reason. By that time I really had no clue about anything.

I went to see Derek. He asked me to go and talk to him in the kitchen before lunch.

- Today we reach land. We won't see each other again. Game over. Do you still want an answer?- he asked.

- Absolutely.

- I... always liked the way you were, but since you came on this ship you changed and that's when I started to know the real you. I liked that. I saw things about you I never thought I'd see in a girl, ever. I was impressed. You really are fit to live freely. You adapt yourself to any situation and make the best out of it. I admire you for that. You know...- he looked away- sometimes admiration turns into love.
My eyes widdened. Same happened to both of us??

- That's my case too!

He looked my way, surprised, but then he smiled tenderly and caressed my cheek.

- My heart almost stopped when I saw you drawning and later on I realised I had fallen in love with you. I could never bear to see anything happening to you. I wish you the best- he embraced me tightly.

My eyes were filled with tears of emotion. Tears of joy and tears of sadness, for we were to part ways. I wished I knew long before, so that I could enjoy his kisses and hugs for a little longer.

What would the winds of the future bring us? At that moment, none of us wanted to look at the future. Suddenly, the cook came in and we moved away from each other. It was time to prepare lunch. Our last one together.

It ended before it even started.