Chapter Twenty-Three

The dragons landed softly on the broken and coal-black crags. They disappeared and their riders landed expertly to the ground.

"Nice of you to stop by," A deep voice said behind them.

"Wow, Xavier has gone through puberty again," Jason yelped.

Lloyd stared in horror at his son. Aira gaped and wiped away tear. She hardened her face and became the fighter she used to be. Julia crouched and touched the ground with one hand.

"Meet my friends," Xavier said grinning eerily. A dark, gargantuan wolf came up behind him. Xavier placed a hand on it's snout. "Sephtis introduced us."

"Wolves never travel alone," Ronin said instantly becoming alert.

His reaction saved his life. A dark shape snapped at his neck. He jumped back and faced the dark wolf in front of him.

Four more wolves came out of hiding and began to snarl and gnash their teeth. The six of them began to circle around the ninja.

"Don't let them corner us," Cole yelled.

Lloyd and Aira gave each other a look and she smirked. She jumped up into the air and Lloyd flipped back on his hands. She landed squarely on his feet and he launched her up and over the first wolf. He sprang back up and used the diversion to make neat work of one of the smaller wolves. The wolf fell dead at his feet with a knife in his throat.

"Oooo, your parents got moves," Jason laughed to Julia.

He jumped up and shot a blast of water in one of the animals direction. It growled and swiped at him with his paw. Jay flipped over the spray of water and sent a blast of electricity into it. The wolf began to convulse because the water magnified the electricity tenfold. Finally the wolf fell dead.

"No!" Xavier practically growled like an animal.

He crouched and placed his fingers on the ground. The ground began to shake and crack. Dark purple light shone from the cracks. Skylor screamed as she began to fall into one of the new crevices. Kai jumped and grabbed her hand. He hooked his ankle on a rock and pulled her up.

Xavier raised and hand a shot a dark beam at Skylor. She was still in a vulnerable position. It hit her and she yelled. Her eyes rolled back into her head and she passed out. Kai dragged her away from the fight and stood protectively over her.

"Hey! I taught you better than to attack a defenseless woman!" Lloyd growled. He sprang forward and blocked Xavier's dark power with his light power.

"Distract him," Xavier yelled pointing at Lloyd.

"Not a problem," a feminine voice said from behind.

"Katrina?! What happened to you?!" Kai yelled.

"What do you mean?" She laughed. Her eyes were blood red and her once red hair was now jet black. Xavier gave her a funny look.

"You didn't do this did you?" Zane told more than asked Xavier.

"I said no mind control!" Xavier yelled into the air.

"Sephtis needs our help," Stephanie said coming forward. Her eyes were red and her skin was dark.

Stephanie crouched to the ground and growled at Zane. She lunged forward and kicked up into his stomach. He blocked it and grabbed her ankle. She used the momentum to throw herself into the air and kick his face. He let go and she flipped onto his shoulders.

"Stephanie! I don't want to hurt you!" Zane yelled. He was obviously holding back.

"But I want to hurt you!" She screamed. She flipped back taking him with her. They ended up on the ground with her legs wrapped around his neck.