13 ~ Halloween Thief

13

The next morning was Halloween and everyone was excited about finding out who would be a Triwizard, everyone except a tormented witch unlike any other.

The whole day Vixen stayed in her quarters where she accomplished all her studies and stared out at the country side from her balcony until supper when professor Snape disturbed her silent time by dictating that her presence was expected in the great hall for the feast and afterward activity for it would help her grow stronger from her curse.

Snape escorted her to her usual dining table which was Hufflepuff where she took a vacant seat at the very end where no other students sat. The great hall was now filled with students chatter and tittering until Dumbledore's voice came booming over them. Vixen had no interest about who would be competing so she just sat sipping a cup of tea trying to warm her insides that seemed to be frozen with emotional agony. A poem was stuck in her head as she sat there staring at the enchanted ceiling replaying the poem again and again making it into a song in her head but she had no clue where she had heard it before which was driving her out of her mind!

"And the Triwizard for Hogwarts is...Cedric Diggory!" proclaimed Dumbledore.

Vixen's thoughts quickly came back to the present as she watched Cedric stand up to go to the front as the rest of the students around him slapped him on the back while others whistled and clapped.

Vixen was shocked by Cedric being the chosen one of this dangerous tournament and truly deep inside she was frightened for him. Yes he was a competent and very well versed in a number of spells but something about this tournament did not feel right. Some sort of evil underline seemed to be involved.

During dinner Vixen just pushed her food around her plate as her thoughts raced back and forth between the late events. What was to happen next?

After dinner all the girls seemed excited and eager for something but what? It seemed as though Professor McGonagall had read Vixen's mind. "You look as though you think you have gone mad. Did no one tell you of our great festivity?"

Vixen just shook her head as she saw more girls giggling and boys whispering to one another.

"Well Miss. Venator it is better late than never. This evening we are having a masquerade to celebrate the tournament. How about you follow me to my classroom and I will show you the catalog I have.

This evening in the ball room students from fourth year up were invited in their semi formal robes, gowns, and masks to dance and socialize with the students from the other schools.

At the south side of the room Draco laid out his charm to a few of the hormone driven Slytherin girls as his entourage indulged in the butter beer and snacks all except for the conniving Adrian Pucey. Jealousy was building inside him as he thought more and more about the Malfoy family asking Vixen to their home for Christmas for Adrian had every intention of making her his.

At the East end of the ballroom Viktor Krum was pestered by students wanting autographs, dates and such but the poor boy just wanted to be left to his own friends to visit for he was tired of the fame of being the Bulgarian seeker.

Meanwhile at the west end Cedric stood talking and laughing to his friends and a bunch of girls from both Hogwarts and Beauxbatons.

The music was loud, spirits were high, and the food was vanishing fast in the ballroom. Cho Chang from Ravenclaw was by Cedric's side asking him about Quidditch even though she was a player for Ravenclaw and how it was to be a prefect while Pansy Parkinson hung on Draco's arm, Fleur Delacour laughed at a joke Adrian Pucey had just told and Angelina Johnson swooned over Viktor Krum until a gasp form the entrance doors sounded making everyone turn to look with wonderment of what had taken away the student's breath.

In through the doors came a student wearing a midnight blue gown with matching gloves and a gold Venetian mask covering her identity. She also had on a top hat with her costume along with gold jewelry.

Draco's mouth was wide open as he watched her walk inside. Adrian had dropped his drink to stare in shock. Viktor Krum was completely oblivious of the girl he was just talking to while across the room Adrian Pucey ran into the wall for his eyes were glued to this girl. Almost everyone in the room was acted as though they had just gazed upon a miracle and were frozen, everyone except Cedric Diggory.

Cedric had a great smile across his face as he watched her enter the room in a shy and confused manner. Whispers spread that this was a veela from Beauxbatons and she was the fairest of all but only Cedric knew who truly hid behind the mask for nothing could hide her shockingly blue eyes from him.

He quickly slipped through the crowd until he stood in front of this angelic maiden and offered her his arm. That coy crooked smile was placed across her lips which made Cedric's heart flutter as she carefully accepted his gesture by linking arms as he lead her into the crowded room.

Students and faculty still stared upon the duo as they glided through the crowd as if no one was there until they stepped into the middle of the floor where Cedric said the first word.

"I'm sorry I disturbed you last night when you were dancing. It was none of my business or anything and I am very sorry Vixen."

Vixen knew he was sincere and really it was not his fault. She was much too hard on him and reacted much too harsh but then again she was always that way before and what made him different? Was it his kindness from the beginning? His persistence? Or was it.... No! How could the mere thought of love cross her mind? She couldn't love!

Well really it was that she didn't want to love and she wouldn't let love into her life! It was a foolish emotion that she could control. Little did she know that love was a living thing. It was not an emotion like lust. Love could conquer even Vixen.

"Cedric please let it stay in the past for it is a new night and I wish for you to forget ever seeing me trotting around like a wounded bird."

Cedric smiled his crooked smile at her and replied, "I'm sorry I cannot forget it Vixen. You should know that seeing as you had taken my arm. You should have seen my thoughts racing with witnessing you dance last night, your singing voice in my head, that smile you smiled that night at the Black Lake, and the first time I laid my eyes upon you. I have yet to find a way to let those thoughts escape my heart and soul. You're always on my mind. I will never let you go."

Vixen shook her head and couldn't believe it. She had been touching him and none of his thoughts had trailed into her head. There was only on way that could be so!

He had stolen her heart.

*~*~*~*~*