21 ~ Not So Pleasant Surprise

Vixen and Draco rarely spent time apart for days as Draco showed Vixen numerous things such as sports, which seemed to really intrigue Vixen which ultimately made Draco smile unless his father was around. In such a short time so much trust had been built however Vixen was hesitant about revealing her past which Draco respected and did not push her to tell him until it was the night of the ball. The whole day elves were going in and out of Vixen's room trying to prepare her for the ball which made Draco laugh because the exact same thing was going on in his mother's room.

The guest had begun to arrive and retired to the ballroom where they loudly helped themselves to cocktails and hors d'oeuvres while an impatient Draco waited at the bottom of the stairs once again for Vixen's company.

Footsteps sounded at the top of the stairs and Draco jerked around to his surprise his lovely mother came flowing down the steps in her black gown.

"Is she not ready yet son? You must be patient. You can't rush beauty!"

He nodded his head as all irritated boys do and went back to waiting. It seemed like hours he waited until he felt someone touch his shoulder. He turned around to see a beautiful Vixen before him in an emerald green ball gown with her hair up and a snake necklace and bracelet that hung off her shoulder. Draco was having the worst time finding words as he stared upon her. Her eyes were still green this evening and her hair had changed for now it had streaks of black mixed in with the white but she looked lovely as ever. Draco knew they were going to be focused on when they entered for many people had been talking of Vixen and were anxious to finally meet her.

As they entered the great hall Draco's aunt Bellatrix greeted them with what seemed to be joy. Many people approved this match which made Lucius and Narcissa hold their heads that much higher. The evening was full of dancing and many people asking Vixen questions until Lucius commanded everyone's attention. "Tonight we have an honored guest who I'd like to introduce. All of you have heard of her but tonight is her first evening officially alive. Thought to be dead come back to us for revenge and to take back what is hers. Ladies and Gentlemen, Capella Letalis Basium."

Everyone in the room applauded except for Vixen who dropped her champagne flute to the floor, shattering it into pieces as she stared toward the front where Capella came into view.

"Mother!" she hissed under her breath as a beautiful woman with dark black hair came into view wearing a black and silver gown.

"Vixen! I knew you would be thrilled by this surprise." Shouted Draco over the crowd.

That wasn't the right thing to say to her at this time. She looked at him with fury in her eyes and smacked him across the face before hurrying out of the ballroom to her chambers where she quickly got out of her gown and now stood there in her black slip trying to calm her breathing and thoughts until a paper bird came flying into her room. At first she was going to strike it out of the air with fire but decided not to waste her energy. She snatched it and took a quick look. It was a flyer for a ballet in Paris! Who would have sent this? It didn't matter she had to leave this place to try and settle her heart. Quickly she yanked an elaborate black and gold gown along with gloves. She quickly got into the outfit and did her hair with a couture hair accessory before she teleported herself to the Palais Garnier.

Elegant dresses and tuxes garnished with roses and carnation walked up the steps of the old Opera house until they reached a man in a nice suit whom took their tickets and looked like he could wrestle with a troll and win. Vixen finally figured out that the tickets were to get into the building but how did they come to have one of these? She soon found people were paying muggle money for this little thing they gave to the man who allowed them to enter. She didn't have any muggle money but she had magic. Looking over someone's shoulder she got a good look at the ticket and managed to make herself a duplicate.

As she drew closer and closer to the man taking tickets she began to get nervous. What would she do if she were caught and in trouble in the muggle world? Something she might have to face sooner or later as he reached out his hand. She quickly handed him the ticket as a friendly grin crossed his face. "So are you alone tonight miss?" he asked.

Her thoughts rampaged. Should she tell him? Should she just keep to herself? Should she lie? Finally her dry throat muttered, "Yes, I am."

"He pulled her aside and gave her a special ticket before ushering her to her own balcony. It seated only two but she was given this box for her own out of generosity. A kind gesture but why? She didn't ponder on the thought for long as the music began to play and Vixen's full attention was on the dancers as the music and voices filled her ears.

Everything was so simple and beautiful without being complicated. Grace and power was the message the dancer sent out as they twirled around the floor and raw talent belted from the singers' mouths. Four hours she watched in amazement at each detail the dancers made being judgmental at times knowing she could have jumped higher and been more graceful than the dancer before her until the last scene where everything and everyone lived happily ever after. The whole audience stood to applaud the great show. Vixen found a single tear stream down her cheek for she was truly amazed by their performance. She loudly clappes her hands together once she performance came to an end until she heard a voice that made her soul tremble and knees weak.

"They say this is the greatest ballet of all time but it won't be the greatest until you are dancing in it."

Vixen was now completely blank for the first time as she gazed upon Cedric.

"What are you doing here?" she softly asked.

"You really don't think that ballet message was in your cabin by accident nor would I let you go without good reason."

Vixen took a heavy breath, "Thank you for leading me here tonight but I really must leave before I am found in the muggle world."

"Wait Vixy!"

"Damn him!" she thought! "He just had to call me that blasted name! The name only he calls me! Damn him!" she forced herself to find her voice and spoke, "Cedric please understand what I am doing is to protect you! Tonight I found there is a force that would gladly kill you just for looking upon me. Cedric I beg of you if you care for me then you will forget me! Forget what times we shared and feeling we feel before fate leads you to your grave! Hate me! Be angry with me and curse my name but don't love me!"

That was all she could do as she hurried past him with tear filled eyes she hurried back to the Malfoy mansion where she knew a great deal of heartache lay ahead.

As she entered the gate a cold hand reached out and took her arm.

"Draco what are you doing out at this time of night?"

"I think the better question is what are you doing just getting in?"

Suddenly Vixen remembered her mother and she became angry, "Why didn't you tell me about my mother being here?" she snapped.

"I didn't know until this afternoon, besides it should make you happy that your mother is alive!"

"Draco you have no clue what sort of evil lies in your house but I'm afraid you are about to find out."

*~*~*~*~*