19 ~ Yearning and the Yule Ball

For weeks Vixen avoided Cedric by all means. She purposely skipped meals by either staying in her tower or roaming the forest. She was now a stranger to herself and everyone else in the castle although she had always been a vicious and dangerous stranger to most. She moved like a soulless being although at this time she never let her soul escape her body. She felt the pain and cried many tears in the privacy of her tower but she forced herself to not mutter his name.

Christmas was drawing near which also brought along the Yule Ball.

A mysterious package arrived for Vixen which she didn't open. The scent of the package gave away who it was from so there was no reason to open it. Professors insisted her presence at the ball and the package was the final touch.

Girls were getting excited for the ball talking of their gowns and who they were going with and soon the courageous Hermione Granger approached Vixen which she had not done since the beginning of school. "Who are you going to the ball with Vixen?" The messy haired girl asked timidly.

Vixen took a heavy breath before she replied. "Draco Malfoy has asked for my company."

Shock was written all over the girl's face followed by an expression that seemed as though she had just smelt something foul.

"Did you agree to go with that snake?"

Vixen nodded and replied, "After the dance we shall retire to his manor where his family has requested my presence during the holiday."

"You mean they are forcing you?"

Vixen shook her head still without looking at the girl, "I had a choice and accepted their courteous offer for it is generous and kind of them to offer me this opportunity to leave the school to recuperate from the trying year before we begin our bustling days that lay ahead."

"Vixen you know you are welcome to come with my family for the holiday if you do not wish to spend it with the Malfoy family."

"Thank you Miss. Granger for the kind offer but I must respectfully decline for two reasons. One is I have already accepted the Malfoys' offer and two I do not belong in the muggle world and do not know how to behave and believe it would be too great of a burden for you and too dangerous for your family to have me near but thank you again Miss. Granger."

Hermione smiled, "You can call me Hermione. I like to believe we are more than just acquaintances."

"Thank you Hermione." replied Vixen in a hushed tone.

It was now Christmas Eve day and Vixen had spent it sitting on the roof of her tower staring at the calm lake as snow fell. Her whole body was numb from the cold but it helped to ease the pain of her heart. She wished for her body and soul to never thaw for when it did, the pain of severing Cedric from her future pained her too much.

As the sun faded and darkness consumed the grounds a surprising interruption caught her attention. She quickly jumped back into her room to answer the door unaware as to whom had come to her tower. She opened it only a crack and to her surprise stood Hermione Granger!

"Vixen I'm so sorry to disturb you like this but I believe you are the only one who can help me with my problem. You are the only person I know whose hair is always perfect and my hair is untamable! I have to look nice for the ball because..." She stopped for a moment to blushing before she replied. "I'm going with Viktor Krum!"

Vixen smiled a bit and nodded, "Come in and I will help you!"

Hermione followed Vixen into her exquisite bedroom where Vixen sat Hermione on the baby blue silk pillow top stool in front of her vanity with the antique mirror before she started her work on the girl's wild locks and makeup. Vixen wanted to keep Hermione looking as natural as possible and just make her eyes and lips stand out. When finished Vixen had Hermione get in her dress which she had brought with her and Hermione gasped as she saw her reflection.