32 ~ Fires at Midnight

32

Many students were shocked by the fight between ancient and unknown magic that had happened and how the whole tower had been taken. It was the unicorns who had brought her corpse back from a land they had never heard of.

Mixed emotions filled them as they were told what had happened and feared filled them as they discovered how little magic they actually knew but were soon assured that the magic that had taken place was now gone from the world. It had left with Vixen.

In the rubble the unicorn staff was located and Dumbledore took it into his possession and found it too great to wield so he returned it to the unicorns in the forest before returning to conduct the funeral services for Cedric Amos Diggory and Vixen Licorne Venator.

Many tears were shed and Amos Diggory and his wife were having an awful time holding it together. No one could blame them for they had lost their only son.

After some time an unexpected event interrupted the sorrowful ceremony causing everyone to fall deafly silent as a ghost emerged.

A soft smiling was on his pale lips and his eyes looked at his parents causing his mother to shed even more tears but she would not take her eyes off the ghost of her boy.

Cedric's voice spoke in a wispy echo "I'm sorry I didn't tell you more how much I love you mother and father. There are a lot of things I want to say but I can't find the words. I did not suffer but there is one thing I am regretful I wasn't able to do in person.

With glistening eyes Cedric's parents stared at him with much anticipation as to what he wished to have done.

"In life I have only one regret. That is that we were wed without you there."

Beside him a soft blue most began to form but before it became clear he proudly declared, "This in my wife and eternal love."

With that he turned his head and the glowing blue wisp changed shape and there next to Cedric was the ghost of Vixen whom Cedric immediately took into his arms with a proud and loving smile that only she could put on his face.

Her eyes locked on his and for the first time ever there was no pain or suffering. She was at complete peace.

Cedric's mother spoke with a shaky voice, "She is most beautiful son. More beautiful than what you said in your letters."

Cedric nodded as he looked into Vixen's eyes. "No words come close to beginning to describe how beautiful she is and how happy she makes me. I'm not afraid of the afterlife, not as long as I've got her."

He then looked back at his parents and said, "We will see you again."

He then looked up at the crowd for the first time with a playful smirk many knew him to display often and said, "Don't let evil win or scare you. We will always be with you."

Vixen smiled more as Cedric looked into her eyes again and without looking at the crowd she said, "You are sure to find us when you see fires at midnight."

With those final words the two lovers held each other close as a bright light consumed them and took them to their new world leaving a burning blue flame dancing.

Dumbledore smiled a bit and closed the funeral service with saying softly, "May we always remember Fires at midnight."

*~*~*~*~* The End.

Hope you've enjoyed.