Chapter 6

Monica pov

"So what did you really think of the set?" Colson asked me.

"I really liked it! I'm not going to lie it was the total opposite of what I was expecting."

"Word? You must not know much about my music or the whole rager part of my shows."

"Yeah, to be honest if it wasn't for my brother I probably wouldn't know what I know now."

He seemed pained by what I had said, so pained that I wish I had never said that. I truly enjoyed his music but before yesterday I wasn't that educated on him or exactly what he was like.

"Ouch! Rap not really your thing huh?"

"No it's not that, I love all music. It just takes awhile for me to adjust to new sounds and different artist when I'm so used to a specific thing.

"That's true, I totally understand where your coming from! I'm very picky on what I listen to." He said giving me a reassured smile.

I looked out the window to see flashy lights and hundreds of people.

"I think we're here!" I said for everyone to hear me. Rook, Dre, and Dub came from the back looking ready to party.

As we were filing out of the bus one by one the driver said,"I should still be parked on this side of the club, if I'm not call me when you guys are about to leave."

We all shook our heads letting the driver know we heard him and we entered the club. I almost forgot that Colson was famous until a group of squealing girls were running up to him. He looked a bit uncomfortable but he hugged the fans and signed them in all types of places that I wish I didn't see. The rest of the group walked over to the bar and I even seen a few guys hitting up Ashley making me feel prideful.

"Monica?!" I heard a familiar voice calling to me.

Is that who I think it is? I thought to myself.

"Janine?" I turned around inspecting the room, there was so many people between us that I almost couldn't separate her from the crowd.

She ran up to me and gave me a hug so tight that I thought my head was going to pop off my body.

"It's been forever!" Janine said with slurred words.

Disappointment hit me like a blow to the face, she had been drinking. Why would she do this to herself? She was eight months sober, she promised me at her last AA meeting that she would never turn back to drugs. Was that the words of a liar or the confused truth of an alcoholic.

Noticing the quick change in my expression she said,"It was only one drink, Tony and his friends wanted to celebrate his promotion at his job."

"You can celebrate without alcohol, does eight months mean nothing to you?" I half yelled, it didn't matter if I embarrassed her in front of all these people, I was pissed!

"Hey I just wanted to get the edge off with Bryan leaving and all, nothing has felt... Ya know, together."

"You need to make smarter decisions, your so called friend Tony should've known not to give drinks to a recovering alcoholic!" I spat at her.

"And you know what, of you really cared about Bryan you wouldn't even touch a drink! You know how he feels about this stuff." I added.

Understanding what I had done I started to feel my face burning. I had said something extremely hurtful without even thinking about it and best believe Janine would make more pay for it.

"The only so called friend I have is you, pretending like you care and then kicking me while I'm down. Let's face it, you've changed since high school and you know it! You think because your prissy ass got a scholarship and a well paying job that you can just forget where you came from?" She said with a voice filled with hatred, this was a side I had never heard.

"And while I'm telling you the truth, you have no right to decide whether I do or don't care about Bryan! Atleast I can keep a man and get him to stay longer than any guy you've been with!" She added.

Her words stung like alcohol on a fresh cut. Was it the liquid courage talking or was this the same crab and a barrel shit my brother was talking about after he had made it out the hood. Maybe this is how she truly felt and she only hung out with me because she benefitted from it.

"You're a.... You're a bitch! Don't you ever talk to me again, understood?" I said, voice and hands trembling like a scared dog in the rain.

My air was disappearing and my chest was getting tighter. I ran to the closest exit and sat outside on the curb, my vision was impaired from crying. Janine had hurt me in a way that she had never hurt me before. Thoughts crossed my mind and she was right I had changed. As she became a distracted alcoholic I became a focused scholar that craved success more than the love of my peers. To some extent I honestly thought she was jealous of me. When I won awards she never congratulated me, when I got my scholarship she told me to spare her the details, and now that I was actually happy with my life she was here to bring me down. This wasn't friendship, what kind of friend munches on the success of others and only comes around when it's convenient for her? I heard loud footsteps and I hoped whoever it was would just pass by me without any remarks.

"Are you okay?" Colson said as he sat down beside me.

"I think I just lost my best friend." I said the tears coming out harder this time around.

He wrapped his arm around me and traced circles around my back trying to soothe me. For the first time in a long time I felt what it was like to have a friend who genuinely cared about me. I had never been on the receiving end of a hug just the one holding the other together when deep inside I was also broken. Ashley was there but she was more of an older sister than a friend.

"Don't worry about it, me and Slim went through hundreds of arguments and each time I was scared he was going to stop being my friend and look at us today." Colson said.

His eyes though blue like ice made me feel warm like the morning sky. I could understand why Slim was his friend, he actually knew how to be one. The warmth in his smile transferred to me and I felt myself cheesing. This has been my second breakdown today and yet each time I was blessed enough to have someone like Colson and Ashley in my life.

"So Cole how has your night been so far?" I said grinning so hard I thought my face would break.

"God what is with you, I stop you from crying and you still wont call me by my name." He said jokingly.

Moments like this made me wish that I had spent my high school years with my brother and his friends instead of Janine. It felt good to be surrounded with people whose vibes were strong enough to turn mine positive.

"Let's make a deal, I'll call you Colson when you start calling me Monica. Okay?" I said half serious but mostly said with sarcasm.

"That's never going to happen."

"Why not Cole?" I said between laughs.

His face changed from hysterical to serious, making me wonder what was on his mind.

"Because Monica is too much of a serious title for you and Nini makes you sound like a four year old. Moni just fits you, I guess."

My brain clung to that, he was right Monica did sound like a 35year old who had a husband, two kids, and her life together. Nini was my nickname since I was ten and no one ever bothered to change it as I got older.

"If you don't want to go back inside the club we can wait for everyone inside the bus." Colson said intervening the battle I was having with myself in my head over a name.

"Oh that'd be great its starting to get cold out here!"

We walked to the bus in silence and just the thought of having him near me was like trading an eye for an eye or in my case a friend for a friend.