seventeen

"Did you get it done?" Jeremy asked flatly as I walked into biology.

"No, I was too busy with Lincoln." The look on his face showed that he wasn't up for jokes, "Yeah of course." I pulled out the draft of my assignment that was neatly placed into a plastic sleeve. He nodded in acknowledgment at it.

"Are you coming over this Saturday?" He asked normally as if he hadn't remembered that we finished obtaining results.

"I don't need to? We finished the experiment..."

"I know, I'm not an idiot. I meant so we can help each other with the final copy of the assignment."

"I don't think that's necessary," I admitted. I was perfectly capable of processing Mister Oakley's feedback on my own.

"Whatever, go have fun with Lincoln," Jeremy muttered, I rolled my eyes before finding my seat next to Lincoln.

"Hey!" He cheerily greeted as I sat down next to him.

"Hey, Lincoln," I replied not even half as cheery as he was. I spent the lesson trying to make as little eye contact with him as possible. I felt bad when the little conversation he was trying to make in between Mister Oakley's teaching turned to him not even attempting at all.

"What's wrong with you?" West asked from behind me on our way to chemistry. It took me a few seconds to reply because it felt like I hadn't heard his voice in ages.

"Nothing," I answered before changing my reply so he wouldn't badger me for a better answer. "Actually chemistry."

"Are you kidding? I love chemistry." Each of those words were filled with sarcasm causing me to smile. "I'm having a small party this Friday night."

"And?" I questioned with a tone of disinterest.

"You should come."

"Is the Xavier Westley inviting me to his party this Friday night?" I asked making a joke out of West being one of the hottest boys in the grade.

He chuckled before replying with, "yes, he is."

The rest of the week felt like it was in fast forward, and I think it was because of half the grade buzzing for West's party. Any thoughts of this party turning out to be small like he said seemed impossible.

"Are you coming tonight?" I asked Vanessa who was on the other end of the phone line.

"That's probably not a good idea," she said hesitantly for the hundredth time in the last few days.

"I told you he said it was fine for you to come, but if you really don't want to then suit yourself." This was my attempt at reverse psychology on her.

"I'll let you go get ready, have fun tonight."

"Okay, you can always change your mind, hopefully I'll see you there!" I hung up the phone in hopes that she'd try her best to work up the courage and come tonight.

I checked myself in the mirror and sprayed myself with some perfume before hopping in the car. The only noise that filled the air was music coming from the radio and I wasn't thinking about anything in particular. After 10 minutes the car had come to a halt and I couldn't believe I lived this close to West. Wait until I tell Vanessa about this, I thought as I hopped out of the car.