v

v

Luke opens the bottom slot on the cell door, handing an inmate their morning milk or water—whatever their preference was.

"How's your eye?" The inmate asked.

Luke looked up through the glass, recognizing the man as the one Michael fought with last. He smiled, letting out a soft chuckle. "It wasn't too bad."

"He's never been good at that whole punching thing," Barakat joked, leaning against the unit.

"What was that fight about, by the way?"

He shrugged. "Boredom."

Luke had a true smile on his face, he's never truly had a conversation with his unit. "Pretty sure you won, ay?"

"Of course I fucking won! I'm not the one that punched an officer in the face!" Jack and his cellmate both broke out in laughter, causing Luke to join in.

It was like when one yawns, Luke yawns, too. When someone laughs, Luke laughs, too. Luke liked when people were happy, even if they were trapped in a literal prison for possibly the rest of their life.

"Very true, very true," Luke said. He made sure they got their drinks before moving to the next cell, doing the same routine.

It was early in the morning (only an hour into his shift), and Luke was still tired. Everyone told him that after high school, he would learn to love waking up early. He's still waiting for that to happen.

He let out a large yawn as he got to cell 212—Michael's cell.

"Morning, Rookie," Michael said, already leaning against the cell door. His voice was low and his dirty blonde hair was a messy behind his headband.

Luke sighed, "Morning, Clifford."

"Wanna see something special?"

"Not really, no."

Michael lifted up his hand, showing he got his left hand out from the cuff. Mike had a smirk on his face as he watched Luke's eyes take in the situation.

"Small hands, hm?" Luke slid the two cartons of milk along the low door, "You don't pleasure your girl now, do you?"

The inmates yelled laughter, mortifying Michael as Luke just burned him.

Luke looked around his unit, letting out another chuckle as he finally got them on his side. He has never had such a good morning with his two dozen men.

Michael took a step back, taking his breakfast drink further into the cell. His cellmate stuck his hand out, getting Luke to fist-bump him.

Luke was having a real good morning.

(a/n) HELLO VERY SHORT FILLER BUT GUESS WHAT

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY

IT REALLY DOESN'T MEAN THAT MUCH BUT HEY I SURVIVED ANOTHER YEAR