xxiii

xxiii

Luke watched Calum come up behind him through the mirror in the locker rooms. Cal placed his hands on Luke's white undershirt, feeling over his broad shoulders. "You look like shit."

Luke brought his hand up to his bandaged nose. "Fuck off."

"Just saying, Blondie. Does it hurt?" Calum leant against the wall next to the smeared mirror, trying to pick up a casual conversation with his work buddy.

Luke was never much for talking but he's been out of work for a week. It's been the best and worst week of his life.

The first few days were fine, he liked his mother treating him like a child. It got old around day four, though. He simply wanted to go back to work, regardless of what his work holds.

"Not anymore," Luke answered, uncovering the bruised skin. "It's not broken."

Calum reached up, poking the only skin that was showing under the white bandage.

Luke flinched away, backing himself into a locker and forming a bruise around his shoulder.

"You said it didn't hurt!"

"That doesn't mean test it!" Luke felt over his shoulder before shrugging on his shirt uniform. He tightened the belt around his slim waist and glared at a laughing Calum.

"Are you ready for today?"

"No."

Calum placed his arm around Luke's shoulder. "I love your attitude." He held the door open for Luke, letting him walk from the locker rooms first.

They headed up the stairs together, not talking much.

Luke could feel a burn rising through his veins as he got closer and closer to his unit. He doesn't know what his unit was going to do, what they were going to say. Luke was simply a small kitten, too pure for the world.

He took the clipboard from the side, starting to check over the units and unlock them for the day. He liked Unit 2 where the inmates were allowed out again.

"You look awful," Barakat said as Luke unlocked the cell door.

"Thanks, Buddy."

"No offense or anything." Inmate Barakat began reaching up his hand, trying to poke at Luke's nose.

The blonde moved away, shoving him into the cement. "Hood already tried to re-break it."

"That's so punk rock." Luke watched him leave, heading down to the main area with his other cell mate.

Luke continued to got through his rounds, no one stopping him until he reached Michael.

The older man was already waiting at the door, his nose practically pressed up against the glass. "Oh, Man. Did I do that?"

"Yeah," Luke sighed, checking him off.

"Dude, I'm sorry. It was meant for Jack. I really didn't mean to hit you, especially not that hard."

Luke opened his cell door, checking off more on his clipboard and refusing to look up at Michael. "It wasn't a hit, it was a punch."

"Luke, I'm really sorry."

The blonde took a step back, heading to the last few cells of his unit. He looked behind him, trying to figure out where Calum had gone.

Michael was still behind him, following him around and breathing down his shoulder. "Don't hate me."

"You practically broke my nose."

"By mistake!"

Luke turned around, finally looking at him ready to give him a Mom-look.

There's something that happens with Luke when he looks at Michael. He gets lost in a trance when he looks up at his hued green eyes. He admires his soft features, his eyebrows furrowed and waiting for Luke to say something more.

Luke wants to yell at Michael, he wants to scream at him. He wants to admit that he keeps moving units just to see Michael. He wants to confess that he feels something for the boy that he barely knows.

Luke feels so much emotion, he feels so much infatuation and pure lust for the older man. He doesn't know why and he doesn't know why it's not ending.

He knows he's stared at Michael for a few seconds too long when the dirty blonde takes a step back, looking more concerned than apologetic.

"Go do something, Michael. I'm working." Luke turns his back to the inmate, unlocking another cell door and letting two more inmates out.

Luke was writing another note on the papers in front of him when two tattooed arms wrapped around his waist, holding him tight enough to make him feel but loose enough to let him push away if he wanted.

"I'm sorry I broke your nose." Michael said, his own nose in the crook of Luke's neck. He could smell his cologne and, fuck, it smelled good.

"You're being inappropriate." Luke jabbed his elbow in between Michael's arms and Luke's waist.

Michael held tighter, squeezing him. "I'm not letting go until you forgive me." Mike liked hugging Luke. Michael hated hugs, but it felt natural with his arms around the taller boy.

"Clifford, stop."

"Accept my apology." He took a step to the side, his face now directly in front of Luke.

"I accept your apology, now let go."

Michael let his arms drop to his side as he stood up on his nose, pecking a kiss to Luke's shaven chin. He stepped back, a stupid smile on his lips. "I hope I didn't hurt your pretty nose too badly." He spoke his last sentence before walking behind Luke, jumping down a few steps to get to the main area with the rest of the inmates.

Luke didn't move, he was unable to move. He stared at the brick wall in front of him, unsure of what to do. Did Michael feel it, too?