xxxiv

xxxiv

Calum pulled into his driveway, parking in his spot of the three car garbage. "So there are five of them, another on on the way," he informed Luke as he put his car into park. "First is Nathaniel, then Orin, Colin and Katrina are twins, then the last is Tanner."

"That's a lot of kids, Dude."

Calum sighed as he got out of his car. "Yeah, Luke, you're telling me." He grabbed his work out bag from the back seat, pulling it over his shoulder. "Nathaniel is nine, he's really energetic and will probably try to wrestle you. Orin is five, he throws food a lot, so be careful. The twins are two, Katrina is my baby girl — she's the only girl at the moment. Tanner is just over a year, he doesn't do much, yet."

"When is the newest one coming?"

"August," he responded, putting his hand on the handle leading inside but not turning it yet. He lowered his voice, "My wife, Eun, is very, very pregnant right now. Don't mention it unless she says something, she's very," Calum paused, biting his lip, "She's sensitive about her body right now."

The blonde nodded, not sure what to say. He didn't know what pregnant ladies were like, he was the youngest of three, he was never around babies.

The door opened, revealing the many noises coming from the suburban home. Kids talking loudly, televisions blaring, Eun scolding her many children.

A boy with curly black hair went running down the tile flooring, jumping into Calum's arms. The older man must have expected it, as he caught the boy. "Orin, this is Luke," he said, turning the boy in his arms to look at his coworker.

Orin giggled, gripping his arms closer around his father's neck. "Mommy is yelling at Nath," he whispered, loud enough for Luke to hear.

Calum started to take off his shoes, kicking them into the corner so no one would trip. Luke marveled at the way he balanced the child on his hip and took off his shoes and jacket without messing up.

"She's always yelling at Nath," Calum responded, a glowing smile on his face, "Let's go see what's happening, yeah?" He turned towards Luke, nodding his head in the direction towards the main area.

Luke stayed silent, following him like a lost dog. That's all Luke really was: A lost dog. A very lost boy.

The eldest boy attacked his father next, gripping onto Calum's right leg. Cal continued to walk through the house, carrying one boy and having another gripped to his leg. Luke was beyond amazed, he was truly astonished at how good Cal was at existing, at being a father.

"Where's Mommy?" Calum asked, looking down at the boy on his foot. He put Orin into a seat at their dining room kitchen.

Nathaniel got up, running straight into Calum and almost causing him to lose his footing. Cal pushed back, picking him off the ground and throwing him over his shoulders.

"She's feeding the babies," Nath said with a screech of laughter.

Luke's mother never let Mr. Hemmings toss the three boys around when they were growing up. Even though the stereotype is for boys to be more aggressive, Ms. Hemmings wanted her boys to be civilized.

Calum went into the living room, tossing the eldest boy onto the couch. "Entertain Luke while I check on our favorite women, yeah? Don't hurt him though," Calum patted Luke harshly on the back, "He's fragile."

Luke stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, looking at the nine-year-old in front of him. Orin came into the room next, plopping down next to his brother.