vii

vii

"What if I don't want to shower?" Healy asked, standing in his open cell doorway.

"Not your choice," Luke responded. He took a step back, giving Inmate Healy another option to get to the showers by choice. Luke really didn't want to have to call up more guys simply to help him move his men to the showers.

"Stop being a dick, let's go," Barakat yelled from behind Luke. He was being taken to the shower room by another officer. That man always had a bounce in his step, no matter what they were doing.

With a roll of the eyes, the inmate started to walk towards the showers, Luke following closely behind. In the academy, they were trained to give them a chance to do what they were supposed to, but keep them on a short enough leash that if they were to act up, Luke could grab them back in place.

Luke got Healy to the showers, nodding at the officers keeping guard. He grabbed an inmate that was done, bringing him back to their units and leaving his other men in the showers.

Luke got to Michael's cell. Michael's old cellmate was released, meaning he was the only one in that cell until another inmate came to replace the empty space.

"Did laundry already come by?" Luke asked as he unlocked the bolts on the cell door. He opened the metal, letting Michael step out of the small area.

"Hell if I know," he responded. He held out his elbow, waiting for Luke to grab it.

"I'm not going to escort you, I trust you."

Michael scuffed, "That's not true. If I were to make any sudden movement you'd have me tackled to the ground." He pushed his elbow out again, "Escort me, Twink."

"Don't fucking call me that." Luke grabbed Michael's elbow, refusing to entwine their elbows like pals. Luke started to walk down the stairs, headed to the first floor.

"You know, I once fucked a nice lil twink like you. Mm, he was a good one."

"Clifford, stop."

Michael put his hands up in defense. "What? I'm just being friendly!"

"I don't want to hear about the boys you've screwed with."

"Oh, Honey," Mike laughed, looking over at Luke, "I fuck men."

Luke kept quiet, trying to tone out Michael. He wasn't comfortable hearing the words fall from Michael's mouth.

"I'm not a golden gay, though. I swore I was straight until I was your age, you know that?"

"No, Clifford, I did not."

"Yeah. I was the shit, Man. I was bangin'."

"That's great," Luke turned the corner, walking Michael down the corridors.

"Does it make you uncomfortable?"

Luke sighed. "Yeah, I'd prefer if you would stop."

"You must be a chick-magnet. Tell me, how many have you gotten with?"

"That's none of your business."

Michael let a low hum drawl in his throat. "I was hitting at least twenty by the time I was your age. You've surpassed that?"

Luke stopped them in the hallway. "I said I'm not comfortable talking about that. Stop it, now, Clifford." The patrol officer didn't like using his professional voice on any of his inmates. He liked treating them like friends. Even when he was putting them back in line, he didn't like to treat them like rag-dolls.

They get enough of that from the others.

Michael low-whistled. "Damn, you gotta get laid."

Luke gave him a look before giving him a push towards the open showers. Luke never liked physically pushing his inmates around. He knew the other guards would pin them against the walls or shove them around because it was their job. It was their job to be tough and gain respect from the inmates, and sometimes that took violence.

Luke just didn't really like that.

He went back and forth a few times, making sure his unit of almost two dozen had their showers. He didn't have any problems, but it was only 10 AM.