xix

xix

Luke sat down on a bench in the corridor of his unit. He grabbed his phone, opening it up to see the missed notifications. He was tired and only an hour into his shift.

The inmates weren't asleep yet, it was half an hour before lights out. They had to be in their cells and getting ready for night, but they were allowed to be awake and loud.

The prison was still more quiet than usual. Most inmates were settling down for the night. There was always a few prisoners who wanted to cause some problems, but Luke's unit was fine.

He read a few messages from high school friends, responding back shortly. Luke was the worst text-er in the world. He responded with one word, sometimes two. He knew it was annoying, but he never wanted to start a long, deep conversation.

He didn't like opening up about anything to anyone, not even his mother—his best friend.

Luke looked up when an inmate called his name. "Ooo, is Rookie texting a girl?"

"Look at the blush," another called.

Suddenly, all the inmates were at their door, calling at Luke.

"She's totally waiting for the dick pic, right, Rookie?"

Luke rolled his eyes. "Guys, I'm texting my mom."

The unit broke out in laughter, and Luke did, too. He liked making his unit happy, he isn't sure why. It's not his job to make sure they're happy. They're criminals—they're not supposed to be happy.

Luke doesn't see them as criminals. They're just people who made stupid mistakes. Maybe they weren't stupid mistakes in their eyes, but they were in the eyes of the law. Luke likes making their time as bearable as possible.

He knows some of them on a personal level. He knows they're family story, their childhood. He knows more about his unit than any other officer knows about their unit. Luke didn't count them as friends, but they weren't monsters to him anymore.

Luke finished a text to his mother before tucking his phone into his waistband. He stood up, stretching out his sore muscles. Training with Calum was still going on. Working out felt good until the adrenaline fell from his body. After that, it was just sore muscles and mentally dreading the next session.

The young blonde began making his rounds, making sure all inmates were close to being ready. He started night call, checking off the inmates and switching off their lights. He liked the pride that filled him that he was in control of them.

Even if it was just a light switch.

"Goodnight, Boys!" Luke called, taking his spot back on the bench, a content smile on his lips.

(a/n) hiii busy work weekend so i don't think i'll be able to update until monday/tuesday !!