xii

xii

Now September, everything flowed back into routine. Luke hasn't been punched in the face since the last fight, which was nice. His mother was pleased that he wasn't coming home with blood dripping from his cheek anymore.

Luke was getting used to being a patrol officer and started to actually enjoy the job. The inmates didn't respect him, at all, but they didn't try to stab him, either. Calum was still on patrol with the blonde, Ash hasn't lifted that yet.

Luke isn't sure if he's ever going to be allowed to do a shift alone again. Maybe he should be flattered that Ashton cares about him, or maybe Ashton simply forgot. Luke wouldn't doubt it, Ashton had hundreds of people to take care of every day, some scrawny boy who can't take care of his twenty-four men weren't a problem.

"Ay, Rookie!" Michael called for Luke's attention.

The blonde turned around, ready to yell at the inmate. "What do you want now?" He asked, heading over to the table he sat at.

It was meet-up time which meant that inmates met with any relatives that were visiting them. Luke didn't mind patrolling during these times, very few inmates dared to act up in-front of their mothers.

They, too, were Mama's Boys.

"'want you to meet my mom," he said, gesturing towards the blonde lady sitting next to him.

Luke gave her a smile and held out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Ma'am."

"This is the fucker I accidentally punched."

Michael's mother gave her son a slap on the arm. "That's not nice. Everything you just said was not nice."

Luke rolled his eyes. "You have quite a special son."

"I didn't think he'd be this much of a handful at twenty-eight years old." She glared at her son.

Luke watched Michael give her an infamous Clifford smile, batting his eyelashes and waiting for her to give in.

"I haven't punched him in, like, three months. That's a lot, Mom."
Luke pulled out a seat, sitting down across from the duo. "Wasn't even that hard of a punch, I expected better."

"Listen here—."

"Hey," Ms. Clifford interrupted, putting her hand in front of Michael, "Don't you dare elongate your sentence. I will beat your ass."

Luke put his elbows up on the table, resting his head in his hands. "When do you get out, July?"

"July 11th," Michael answered. He's been counting down that date for an entire decade. He's been waiting for that date to come around, he can almost taste it.

"Are you proud of him, Ms. Clifford?" Luke asked, letting his blue eyes shine in the fluorescent light. He knew he could make anyone confess their sins. Luke had the same calming personality as his mother, the same soothing voice.

"Ask me again in a year," she responded. "Mikey is gonna come back home and live with his favorite mother, I'm gonna never let him out of the house."

"Seems like a plan," Luke said, smiling at a blushing Michael.

"My baby finished his GED while he was in here, isn't that great?" She asked, reaching over to swipe his hair from his eyes.

He moved away, his cheeks still vermillion red as Luke saw Michael and his mother react together.

"'m always proud of my boys that get shit done while they're in here. Takes some dedication." Luke looked at Michael, giving him an exaggerated smile. Michael couldn't call Luke a Mama's Boy when Michael, too, was the biggest Mama's Boy out there.

"I'm not going to college, Mom, I know that's your next sentence."

"It was worth a shot." She leant back in her seat as the clock above them went off, signally their time coming to an end. Luke stood up, his plastic chair squeaking against the cement floor.

He listened to their good-bye's, trying not to coo at how cute they were together.

"No more fights, especially handsome boys like that one," she whispered to Michael as she squeezed him for dear life, "I'll be back next week, there better be good news."

Michael squeezed her back, kissing her cheek and standing back into place. He watched her leave, waving one last farewell as she turned around before exiting.

"Mama's Boy?" Luke asked, tilting his head to the left with a smile upon his lips.

"I will fuck you up," Michael threatened, scanning past him with a shove of their shoulders.

It was a start, kind of.