xxxvii

xxxvii

The days were passing faster and faster and Luke wanted to cry. And sleep.

Luke stood in the last cell of the night, Michael's cell—everything almost stripped off content. "Your last night, wow," the blonde said, looking over the bare walls.

"You're gonna miss me," Michael said from his shallow bed.

"I am," the officer admitted, "I'll get over it, though. Barakat will give me all the attention I need." Luke crossed his arms over his chest, liking the way Michael glared at him.

"Do you remember when you wrote me up over ten times in one day?" He asked. The inmate laid down, putting his hands below his head so he could still watch Luke's every move. "I wanted to kill you."

"Cute. Thanks."

Mike chuckled, smiling up at nothing. "I'm sorry I purposely scared you, like, every night."

"You don't just stand in the window of a dark room!" Luke defended, "You knew I was coming!"

"There's no fun in life if I don't make you shit your pants."

Luke rolled his eyes as he stood up straight. "You should get a good sleep, you get to see the world tomorrow." He re-tucked his shirt and tightened his belt.

"Stay for a few more minutes," Mike offered, "Our last night, right?" There was a hint of sadness in his voice. Mike was hoping it wouldn't be their last night, he didn't want it to be their last night.

The corner of Luke's mouth curled up as he took a step in sitting on the empty bed across from Michael. "We'll meet up, don't be so sad." Luke reached to Michael's bedside, taking out his journal. He took an ink pen, flipping to the back.

Mike watched him with careful eyes, not sure what the blonde was up to. "I promise not to break your nose again."

"Really? Wow, amazing." Luke closed his notebook, placing it back on Michael's bedside. "Your mother sounded excited this morning to have you home again. She's a good woman, yeah?"

"Yeah," he answered with a smile, "Really nice lady. She likes you, in case you wanted to know."

"I mean, I'm irresistible," Luke sarcastic responded, popping his collar with a laugh.

Michael shook his head, not sure how to respond to him.

Luke changed to a serious note, "You're gonna do some really good things out there, you've just gotta try."

Mike nodded, knowing Luke was right. "I know, I'm gonna try."

Luke swore that if there weren't three cameras watching their every move, he'd lean in and kiss Michael until their lips turned purple. He was so in love yet so naive.

July 11th came so fast.

Michael flipped over his journal once Luke left, trying to find whatever he left.

Inside the last page, he saw a number and an address. Luke's number and address. This wouldn't be the last of the two, no, no, no.