xxx

xxx

Inmates in Unit 2 were free to roam around between lunch and dinner. They had time to do what they pleased—some went to classes, some worked out, some bonded with other inmates.

Michael sat in his cell, tearing another page from his notebook to write a letter back to his mother. Even though his mother comes in to see him every other week or so, he still enjoys writing long letters to her, just in case he missed something while talking face-to-face.

Luke looked around, making sure his unit was staying intact. He peaked his head in Michael's cell, seeing him sitting upon his bed, his leather bound journal in his lap. Luke remembers going through there the first time and finding that syringe hidden between the pages. The blonde swore that Michael would never forgive him—he did.

"Hey, you're still in here?" Luke asked, taking a step in.

Michael looked up, closing his notebook. "Yeah, I like the quiet." Technically, it wasn't that quiet. Every sound echoed into the small room and bounced off the cement walls.

"Can I sit down?" He asked, pointing to the empty bed across from him.

Mike nodded, fully closing his notebook and placing it on his bed next to him. He didn't want Luke to see the letter to his mother. He didn't want Luke to see it because, first of all, it was a letter to his mother, and second of all, Michael was writing about Luke. Michael wrote about Luke a lot, in almost all the letters sent out.

He referred to Luke as He to his mother, his mother knew exactly who He was. Every single one of Michael's letters were proof read before being sent out, he didn't know who they were scanned by, but it would be mortifying if someone made the connection that He is Luke.

"I wanted to talk about the other day," the teenager said as they continued to sit in silence, mindlessly staring at each other.

"It was nothing," the dirty blonde said.

"I'm sorry the therapist kicked me out of the room," Luke said, looking down at his feet. In isolation, Luke brought down the therapist along with Ashton. Ashton yelled at Michael, practically spit in his face. The therapist degraded Michael, and Luke got kicked out when he tried to intervene.

"It happens." Michael shrugged his shoulders. he moved closer to the edge of his own bed, his feet just barely grazing the tile floors. He looked at his feet—much smaller compared to Luke.

His green eyes trailed up Luke's legs, they've gained muscle since he first came to the Las Vegas Prison. Luke had wide, bony hips which lead to wide, bony shoulders. His arms were slowly filling out, Michael noted. He looked at Luke closer, his pointed nose facing the ground. He was playing with his fingers, obviously trying to come up with something else to say.

"Don't feel bad, it's not your fault. I'm a prisoner," Michael said with a laugh, "This is how I'm supposed to be treated."

It was Luke's turn to shrug his shoulders. "I want you to trust me, yeah? When I brought them down, I thought they were going to help you out."

"Look, let me bring you down to reality," Michael took a breath, "We live in a terrible world where you can't trust anyone. No one, okay? Just you do you and leave it at that."

"Don't think that like, that's just gonna bum you out."

Michael laughed, shaking his head. "You're just a kid, Luke. Come back to me in ten years and tell me how happy you are."

Luke kicked his feet back and forth, looking down at the semi-dirty floors once more. "You're gonna get released soon, you're gonna see how good the world can be soon."

"I was out in that world for almost three decades before I was put into here—."

"But you weren't living," Luke said, "You were doing stupid stuff and ended up in here."

"You do not know me nor what I did before here." Michael stretched out his foot, kicking Luke's shin softly.

The blonde looked up, swallowing a lump in his throat. Blue eyes stared at green eyes and everything felt at peace. Nothing seemed wrong when they were looking at each other. They weren't in prison, there was no sadness.

Luke was looking at Michael and Michael was looking at Luke and their hearts are beating so fast that they both swear they're about to die. Luke wants to kiss him, he wants his first kiss to be with the cocky, stupid inmate.

"Grow up, Luke," Michael said softly.

Luke leant back, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm trying."

"We're gonna see each other when I'm outta here, right?" Michael asked, still admiring the boy across from him.

Luke nodded, "I hope so."

"Good, now get out of my cell."

"I thought we were having a moment," Luke half-joked as he got up, fixing his uniform.

"We were, now you're bothering me."

"I didn't do anything!"

Michael stretched out his foot again, physically kicking Luke towards the open door. "Exactly."

"I could get you in so much trouble right now." Luke leant against the door frame, a smirk on his chapped lips.

"If you bother Big Boss one more time, I think you're the one that's gonna get in trouble."

Luke rolled his eyes, "Fine. Bye, Michael."

"Bye, Twink."