xxvii

xxvii

Unit 2 and Unit 5 were a lot different obviously. Luke found it all so weird—how one building could be so different.

When Unit 2 was being emptied for their weekly clean-out, the prisoners stood in the hall with their hands at their side. They were allowed to watch the officers go through their stuff, the officers were allowed to talk to them as well.

In Unit 5, the inmates were brought out 2-by-2 and put into isolation. There rooms were thoroughly cleaned out, absolutely nothing left in the cell. The inmates were then brought back in handcuffs and locked into their cells.

Unit 5 inmates were basically animals.

Luke leant against the wall, knowing Ashton didn't want him getting involved. Luke felt although he was moved down past Rookie. Ash didn't want him helping with clean out, he didn't want him locking the inmates up at night, he simply didn't trust Luke to do his job.

A familiar dark-haired head appeared up the stairs. "Hey, Buddy," Calum said softly, walking over to Luke and leaning against the wall next to him. "How's it up here?"

"Awful."

"Really?"

"Seriously." Luke sighed as he looked down at his hands, his fingers itching at the inked crescent move on his right hand.

"Well, I've got some good new for you." Calum looked up at the lanky boy. "Baby number six is on its way and I want to switch to nights so that I'm there for my wife and all during the day when all of them are awake."

"Congrats, but that doesn't really sound like good news for me."

"It means my spot in Unit 2 is wide open."

Luke looked down at him, his face suddenly filled with excitement. "Seriously? Dude, that would be amazing."

"Also heard a rumor that your little lover boy is moving down, too."

Luke elbowed him in the ribs. "He's not my lover boy, stop it."

Cal shrugged, unaffected by Luke's pointy elbow. "Just saying, Man, I'm waiting for this ship to sail."

"You're like a thirteen-year-old girl."

"And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that," Calum said through bits of laughter. "How is he in here, by the way?"

"He's too afraid to fight, it's kind of funny. He just stays in his cell writing in that journal of his." Luke slightly wanted to know what went on inside of Michael's mind, but at the same time he did not. He didn't know if it'd be a mess or art.

He wanted to stay in touch with the older boy after he left jail, but he didn't know how to ask that. He didn't want to seem unprofessional and he definitely didn't want to be rejected.

On cue, Michael walked past the two patrol officers. Two other officers had his arms, slowly leading him back to his cell.

His head was down, his hair over his eyes as he was moved back to the enclosed space.

Luke doesn't know how he does it, he doesn't know how any of these inmates do it. Being locked away for so long much have some toll on their mental house.

Calum gave Luke a harsh pat on the back before squeezing at his biceps. "See you at training tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah, see you then."

Calum started to walk away, leaving Luke alone once again.