xiv

xiv

Lunch arrived like it did every day. Luke patrolled the inside cafeteria, walking around the tables and making small conversation with his inmates. He wasn't supposed to make friends with them, but he wanted to. He just wanted to be liked.

Luke did one more round before standing next to Calum, both of them facing their unit as they made casual conversation with each other.

The young blonde begun to think of Calum as an actual friend.

Cal let out a yawn, stretching out his back. "I haven't slept in a week."

"Nice. Is it the babies?"

He nodded. "They're just," he paused, "So tiny."

Luke laughed, looking down at his feet. "How old are they?"

"Just over a year. I think if we get pregnant again, I might just jump off the roof."

"Dude, just fucking wrap it."

Calum glared at him, even though Luke was beyond right. "You're, like, twelve."

"I'm nineteen."

"That's exactly my point." Cal turned back to the open room, watching their unit walk around, socialize, and eat. "Are you glad you haven't been punched in the face again?"

Luke smiled, "Yeah, I'm real proud. My face is too pretty."

Calum turned to him, reached over and grabbing his cheeks. He squeezed at the baby fat around his cheekbones like Luke's grandmother always did. "Aw, the little baby is blushing," he cooed, making Luke blush harder.

The blonde stepped back, glaring at his partner. "Don't be a dick."

Their casual conversation was disrupted by a certain dirty blonde, putting his arm around Luke. The younger boy looked to his right, seeing Michael smirking at him.

Luke pushed him off. "Don't touch me."

Mike gave him the smile that got him out of everything. That smile—the apples in his cheeks round, his teeth white—got his twenty year sentence to ten. That smile could do amazing things. "Just coming to say hi to my favorite officers."

"What do you need?" Calum asked, folding his arms over one another. He knew that he and Luke were the only two officers in the entire facility that wouldn't get in the inmates face and shout incoherent demands. That's why most inmates felt lucky to be under their unit.

"Is this your new boy toy?" Michael asked Calum, pointing to Luke.

Luke furrowed his eyebrows. "I will beat you up, Clifford."
Mike sized Luke up, laughed, then turned back to Calum.

"Nah, blonde twinks living with their parents aren't really my thing," Cal teased, looking straight at Luke.

"Dude!"

"Hemmings lives with his parents?" Michael asked, laughing. "Did you hear that, guys?" Mike turned around to the full unit, "Hemmings is a child."

Luke rolled his eyes, "You're out of place."

Mike stepped forward, wrapping his arms around Luke and resting his head on his shoulder. "Don't worry, Lucas, we won't tease you too badly."

Luke shook him off again. "Stop it, Clifford." He turned to face the inmate, standing up to his full height and spreading out his feet to shoulder length. His height intimated 75 percent of the inmates.

"Nah, you love it. It turns you on, doesn't it?" Michael joked around, taking another step closer to Luke to prove he wasn't scared. He liked testing the boundaries.

"Go sit down, you're bothering me." Luke pushed him back, leading him back to his table. He turned around to face Calum, jabbing his index finger into his chest. "I fucking hate you."

Calum giggled, scrunching his face up in a laugh. "You love me. Didn't you hear Clifford? We're lovers now."

Luke pushed him against the pillar. "You little bitch."

(a/n filler filler filler filler