xi

xi

"A shank?" Luke asked, "That's a real thing?"

Ashton looked at the slouching blonde, ready to push him over the railing. "Yes, you idiot. And it was in your unit. What if they used it on you? Hm? This isn't some joke."

"Right. Sorry, Sir."

"We're clearing your unit, bringing them outside. They will not come back in until someone claims this," Ashton harshly spoke. He held the sharp object in his hand, twisting in between his long fingers.

Luke took a step back, letting his bulky sergeant walk by him in a huff. He has seen Ashton angry, Ashton is always angry. Seeing him furious, though, was something new.

He watched the tanner man walk around the bends of the second floor and begin to yell at Luke's twenty-three men. He could hear his boss completely screaming at the men as if they were dogs that just shit over everything Ash loves.

Luke walked closer, standing at the edge of his unit looking ashamed. Inmate Healy put his head against the window, looking straight at Luke. He put his hands around his own neck, pretending to choke himself.

Luke had to hide his giggle in fear of Ashton looking his way.

Half of the officers on shift were beginning to take Luke's unit out. Luke wasn't assigned to help out, and that made him feel pretty damn awful. Ashton doesn't trust him to even walk an inmate out the doors and make sure they don't act up.

He felt something more than mortified, something stronger. He wanted to go and cry, but he figured that'd make it all worse.

He stood against the rail for hours, watching officers clear out each and every room thoroughly. One-by-one, they took out everything and layered it in the hallway. It was for safety, for everyone's safety.

Ashton came over, Calum walking behind him.

"Hood is gonna be with you now."

"What? Why? I can take care of my unit," Luke defended. He liked Calum, he was a good training buddy and Luke thought of him as a work-friend.

Ashton let out a bellowing laughter. "You can? Then why is there a shank in your unit? Explain that one, Hemmings."
Luke looked down at his feet, not sure what to answer.

"Exactly. Now, go outside, watch your unit complain because guess who 'fessed up?" Ashton paused, "No one."

The bigger man stormed away, leaving Calum and Luke alone.

"It's okay, Dude. It's not your fault," Cal comforted quietly.

Luke shrugged.

Calum put his arm around Luke, starting to usher him towards the outside stairs. "Your unit is a tough one, they do shit like that all the time."

"I should be able to control them, right?"

"I mean, yeah, you should. This is just a slip on. Be tough on them, yell at them when they're back in their units. Let them know that you're the one in charge." Calum swiped his pass, opening the second story door that lead to the courtyard outside.

Luke could see his entire unit eyeing him as he began walking down the steps. "I hate yelling."
"You've gotta do it," Cal said, giving him a slap on the back. "Do it now, I'm not doing it for you."

Luke walked between the several guards watching his men. He stood up straight facing them. Calum ushered the guards out, promising to call them if help was needed.

Luke looked at every single one. He could see the annoyance in each and every one of their eyes. He didn't say a word, waiting for one of them to speak up first.

They didn't. They, too, stayed quiet.

"Guess who got in trouble?" Luke asked. He placed his hands behind his back, puffing out his chest. He was at his full 6'4" height now, and tried his best to be intimidating. Luke was as intimidating as a baby bunny. "Me," Luke said, "I got in trouble because of you guys."

Luke knew he was supposed to swear at them, degrade them until they broke into tears. But, that wasn't who Luke was, that's not what he was raised like.

"Are any of you guys going to step up or are you gonna spend the day in the sun?" Luke shaded his eyes as he looked up at the Nevada sun shining down bright on them. He knew they were sweating, they've been standing in a line for four hours now.

"Is that a no?" Luke looked back at Calum before looking at the two dozen men. Was he supposed to let them inside? This was his unit, it was his call.

Luke knew he could never have kids due to the fact that he wouldn't punish them. He didn't like punishing these men who deserved that punishment.

"I can't let you guys back in there," he said, sympathy lining his voice. "I really can't. This isn't just some bag of weed in your shoes, I can't brush it off again." Luke took a step back, standing in the shade with Calum. He stayed facing the men, but leant towards the other man. "I'm going to cry," he whispered.

"You didn't even yell, you pussy."

"I'm actually about to cry." Luke looked at him, his voice wavering.

Calum shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Go get them water, I'm gonna go pin a few up against the wall." He took a step back, cracking his neck and taking a deep breath.

Luke didn't stick around.