xxviii

xxviii

Luke sat in Ashton's office, taking a seat to the right of Michael. He had no idea why he and Inmate Clifford were, once again, brought into a meeting together.

Mike's wrists and ankles were cuffed, he looked annoyed.

"So, Hemmings, you've been up in Unit 5 about the same amount as time as Clifford," Ashton said, looking down at two different files on his desk, "How is it? Both of you?"

"Awful," Luke responded first.

Michael barely waited for the blonde to answer before shouting out, "Stupid."

Ash nodded, still looking down at the files. He had a blue pen between his fingers, spinning them around each finger a few times. It was intimidating Luke and he wasn't sure why.

"Michael asked to be moved to Unit 2, and I figured you'd want to be moved back, too."

"Yes, Sir, I'd appreciate that."

Michael smiled to himself, trying not to laugh at Luke's serious persona. Luke tried so hard to act like an adult, but he was a child.

"Do you think Michael should move back down to Unit 2?"

"Yeah, of course. He doesn't fit in with these bulky dudes who could kill him with two fingers. That's not who he is."

"You think you know Clifford real well?" Ashton asked, finally putting down the papers and looking up at Luke. He crossed his fingers with one another, raising an eyebrow and waiting for an answer.

"I mean, he's broken my nose, there's a special bond you get after that," he joked.

Ashton cracked a smile, allowed Luke to breathe. He turned in his chair, crossing his legs the other way underneath his desk. "Clifford, you gonna fight?"

"I can't promise that I won't, but I can try not to." Michael tried to cross his legs, only to be stopped by the cuffs pulling at the skin around his ankles. "Can you at least take these off? It's bothering me." He pointed down to the floor.

"Luke, take them both off."

Luke, like the puppy dog he was for Ashton, knelt on the ground, taking out the keys to the cuffs and unlocking his legs first. He moved up, grabbing Michael's wrists with one hand and undoing the lock with the other.

He got back off the ground, handing the cuffs to Ashton.

Michael rubbed at his sore wrists as he crossed his legs, leaning against the side of the chair. "Anyways, I won't break Luke's nose again or something." He looked over at Luke, making eye contact with the younger boy. He gave him an enchanting smile, a glistening gleam in his green eyes.

"Oh, wow, thanks."

Ashton watched the two. "Yeah, don't break his nose, his mother will sue."

Michael laughed, watching Luke's cheeks heat up. "Don't want Mama Hemmings getting involved, that's for sure. She'd beat me up."

Luke rolled his eyes, not wanting to respond.

Ashton handed both of them papers to sign, confirming their move from Unit 5 to Unit 2. "Did you hear Hood is having another one?" Ash asked, mostly to Luke.

"Yeah, insane, right?"

Ashton looked back over the papers Luke signed, filling out sections of his own. "He wants to be on nights now, so you're taking his spot."

"He mentioned it the other day," Luke said, "Should we buy him protection? You know, after number six gets here."

"Probably, maybe as a birthday present, you know?" Ashton looked up, realizing Michael was still in the room. "You can go."

"No, I'm enjoying this."

Ashton shrugged, not caring too much. "Can you imagine all those college bills? I only have two and I'm freaking out about college tuition."

"I didn't even go to college and I'm freaking out about college loans," Luke answered. Making Ashton smile once was a blessing, when Ashton smiled for a second time, Luke felt like he was God. Actual God.

"What about you, Clifford?"

He laughed, "Nope. No kids and no fucking way I'm headed to college."

"What if you became, like, a doctor after this? That'd be hilarious."

"I don't think a felon can become a doctor, Sir," Luke corrected.

"Fuck you, maybe I wanted to be a doctor. You just crushed my dreams. Thanks, Twink." Michael gave Luke another infamous smile.

"Can you make him stop calling me Twink?"

"You should be able to control your own inmates, Hemmings." Ashton was still filling out the transform forms, making sure everything was up-to-date and accurate.

"Yeah, Hemmings. If all you're gonna do is follow me around, at least control me."

"I don't just follow you around."

Ashton and Michael both looked at Luke, giving him a look.

"I don't!"

Ash sighed loudly and went back to the paperwork. "Every unit he goes to, you're sure to follow," he teased.

Luke shrugged, "He keeps me on my toes. It's entertaining."

"Aw, Lukey has a crush on me," Michael cooed.

Luke glared at him. "That's not true, shut up."

Ashton snickered, refusing to look up at either of them. "I'm not getting involved." He closed Luke's file, checking over Michael's next. "Keep in mind he's released in five months, you two can be homosexuals then."

Michael smiled again, "Did you hear that Luke? Ashton gave us his approval."

"I'm not gay!" Luke stated, looking between both men.

Michael broke into laughter. "Okay, Twink, okay." He stood up, stretching out his back. "I should get going, I don't wanna miss out on supper." He gave Luke a strong pat on the back, "Love you, Hubby."

Luke rolled his eyes and glared at his boss. "He's never going to let this one down."

Ash shrugged his shoulders. "Well, in five months you'll either never see him again or see him in a whole different way."

"Stop playing match makers, he's an inmate."

"Don't get me that fucking attitude again."