epilogue part iii

epilogue part iii

FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE MICHAEL'S RELEASE

Luke had his head on Michael's chest when their bedroom door squeaked open slowly, revealing five-year-old ("Almost six!") Samuel. Luke opened his eyes the tiniest bit, watching the small, blonde boy crawl into bed with his fathers.

Michael woke up when their child climbed up on Mike's lap. He opened up his groggy eyes and licked over his chapped lips. "Oh, you're here early."

"It's noon, Daddy," the boy said, a smile on his lips.

Luke stretched out, grabbing a shirt from the ground and pulling it over his body. He cuddled back into Michael's side, looking up at their son. "Is Grandma awake yet?"

"She went to the farmer's market and said I could go but that's so boring," he commented. He reached down his small hands, placing them on Michael's chest tattoos. His fingers tickled Michael's skin as he went over a curved line down the center of his chest.

"Did you wanna do something today? I think Daddy and I have to go check up on the store, you can come or we can see if Tanner will babysit you."

"Calum's kid?" Michael asked, running a hand over his eyes. "Didn't he do weed in our house last time?"

Luke shrugged. "I mean, we can't prove that."

Michael laughed as he placed his hands on Sam's hands and starting a game of red hands with him—Michael always won. "I don't really want our kid being around a stoner."

"Give Tanner time, he'll mature just like you."

Sam looked over over at his Dad, "Was Daddy like Tanner?"

Luke looked up at Michael, giving him a devious smile. "Your daddy was worse."

"I was not! Don't tell our kid that!" Michael put his arms around Sam's back, pulling him to his chest and cuddling him close.

The toddler laughed as he put his arms around Michael's neck, holding him closer. "You were illegal."

"I was not illegal, I just made bad choice." Somewhere in Michael's head, he didn't regret doing what he did. He did what he had to do and at that moment he felt it was right. He knew his psychologist would drug him up if he ever said that out loud, though.

Sam shrugged as he leant closer to Michael's chest, listening to his heartbeat and feeling warm in his father's arms. "I think you're cool, Daddy."

"I know I'm cool," he responded.

Luke reached over, brushing a hand through Sam's messy hair. "We need to schedule you a hair appointment."

"Let's dye his hair. What do you think of that?" Michael moved Luke's hand away, putting his own hand through the light blonde hair.

Sam looked like Michael, his curved nose and high cheekbones. He had a happy face, the apples of his cheeks always red. Samuel had Luke's light hair that constantly fell in his face.

"I don't want to be illegal," he responded, looking over at Luke.

Luke nodded, "Yeah, Michael, he doesn't want to be illegal."

"That's how Daddy met Dad," Sam pointed out, "Daddy was illegal." Sam was fidgeting in Michael's lap again, trying to find a comfortable spot on the tattooed man.

"I was not illegal, I just did something bad," Michael corrected. He knew their son was young, but Mike couldn't help but become annoyed with him.