xxii

xxii

"Oh yeah, that's bad." The ER doctor said, his index finger and thumb holding the bridge of Luke's nose. "I can probably fix it."

"You don't sound very confident."

"Hold your breath."

Luke did as told, unsure of what his next move was.

"1," the doctor counted, "2." He jolted his hand, a click heard as his cartilage realigned with his bridge.

"Fucking shit!" Luke yelled, the pain reaching higher levels before completely disappearing. He flinched away from the doctor, putting his hands up to his nose and feeling the swelling and a few bumps.

"I'm gonna put a splint on it to hold it in place until you get to an ENT. Don't touch it too much or knock it. It doesn't look like it caused any actual breakage." The doctor turned his back, going through drawers.

Luke looked down, his navy blue uniform stained with his own blood. At least he got the day off.

"How'd this happen?"

Luke leant forward once more, letting the doctor feel around his nose and line up the plastic. "I'm a patrol officer," Luke informed the older man, "And two inmates were fighting and one of them hit me instead of the other."

"Damn," he whispered, "He's sure got a right hook on him."

Luke let out a small laugh. He was glad the pain was gone, only a feeling of soreness. "It doesn't look too bad or anything, right?"

The doctor took a wet wipe, cleaning up the dried blood from the tip of Luke's nose and the surrounding skin. "Nah, not too bad. I don't think you'll need reconstruction or anything." He took the clipboard, taking a step back as he went over Luke's papers. "Aw, you're on your parent's insurance still?"

Luke bit his tongue.

"No offense, I just thought you were a lot older."

"Yeah," he sighed, "I get that a lot."

Luke watched him grab a hand mirror from the counter, holding it up to Luke. "Like I said, it should be fine. Rest up for a while, don't get into fights."

"I don't purposely get punched in the face." Luke grabbed the mirror, holding it up so he could see his own face.

Two metal bars were on either side of his nose, dark blue cushions on either side to stop them from digging into his skin. Two strips of tape held it all together. He knew the tape was going to bother him soon enough.

He also knew his mother was going to freak out.

"Just be careful. Wouldn't wanna see you beat up." He gave Luke a comforting pat on the back before exchanging the mirror for a few pieces of paper. "Make sure to get to the ENT soon, I have a few circled on the top here."

Luke zoned out, trying to figure out what he was supposed to do next. Did he want to go back to work?

(a/n) there's this really really good book called wasting time by sublimed and it only has like 4k reads and it deserves 400k at least okay. it's literally my favorite story on this sight and you should really go read it. 

love u