xx

xx

Luke threw the empty glass bottle that once held a chilled caffeinated drink into the recycling bin on his way out of the locker rooms. He ran a hand through his hair, pushing the front fringe back and out of his face.

He often wanted to get a headband to wear constantly. He was sick of the blonde locks in his eyes. Luke didn't want to look too feminine or anything, though. On second thought, he realized that was stupid. It's an item of headwear, it's impossible to be 'too feminine' unless he wanted it to be too feminine.

Clothing is clothing, it has no gender. Only Luke gets to decide what descriptive word he uses for it.

Luke jogged up the stairs, fixing his hair once more before turning the corner to his unit. He grabbed the clipboard off the wall, finding many notes left for him.

He leant against the wall, Inmate Barakat watching his every move.

"Clifford got transferred," the inmate told him.

"Hm?" Luke asked, putting down the board.

"Your lover got transferred."

"He's not my lover," Luke defensively answered, "And what do you mean?"

Jack stepped forward, leaning against the open door frame of his unit. "Big Boss got pissed off with all the fights Michael kept starting. His anger was apparently 'out of control'." Barakat used air quotes when he quoted Ashton.

Luke didn't doubt the inmate—that sounded like Ashton. "Where's he transferred to?"

"Unit 5. He's in isolation for now, though."

Luke was taken back. Unit 5 was the worst unit possible. It was filled with the worst criminals one could ever hold. Michael wasn't the toughest one in there now. He was the weakling again.

Luke feared for him.

"Damn," the younger one low-whistled, "Sergeant doesn't joke around, does he?"

Jack laughed, a surprisingly high-pitched laugh. "Nah, he's legit."

Luke looked around the unit, everything feeling wrong without Clifford threatening to choke some inmate. Luke didn't understand why he wanted to follow Michael around like a lost puppy.

He felt like he needed to be with Michael, he needed it.

"I'll go talk to him."

"Ashton or Clifford?"

"Ashton," Luke said, placing down his clipboard.

"Aw, true love right there."

Luke turned around, glaring at the inmate. "Stop talking," he paused, "Just, stop." He turned back around, quickly rushing down the stairs and through many corridors to get to Ashton's office.

He was out of breath by the time he reached the door, and that was mortifying. A flight of stairs shouldn't make him on the verge of death.

He knocked on the door, waiting for Ashton to respond.

"What?" He angrily groaned from the other side. The door flew open, revealing an obviously annoyed Ashton. "Oh, it's you."

"Hi, Sir."

He sighed. "I have a lot to do today, is there something you need?"

Luke wondered if Ashton actually thought Luke was going to just drop in to say hi. They didn't have that time of relationship, Ashton wasn't that type of person. "Uh, yeah. You took away one of my inmates—."

"Yeah, he was being a fucking nuisance."

"I understand that, but don't you thin putting him in Unit 5 is a little extreme?" Luke sat down across from Ashton, feeling small.

Ashton gave him a questioning look. "You're questioning my actions, huh? You think I don't know what I'm doing in my own fucking prison?"

"No, no, I didn't mean it like—."

"You're fucking lucky I'm not sending you to Unit 5 after that attitude."

Luke bit his lower lip, the things he does for Michael. There was just something about the older boy that attracted Luke to him, he wanted to be with him, he wanted to see him. "I assure you, that's not what—."

"Oh? Now you're saying I can't fucking tell an attitude? Huh? That's—."

"Ashton, no, that's not what I'm saying," Luke interrupted. The blonde was about to shit his pants as he looked at the unimpressed man sitting across from him.

"You know what? Fine. Go follow your fucking love, go to Unit 5. I think you're at more of a risk than him." Ashton turned around in his chair, pulling out the file Luke recognized very well, it was his own. "You can't even handle level 2 inmates, try level 5 inmates. Try sociopathic liars and mass murderers, I hope you have a great fucking time."

"I—I really don't want—."

"Yeah? Too late now." Ashton quickly filled out a form in dark blue pen. "You're working week days in Unit 5, get home and get a good nights rest."

"Ashton—."

"Get out of my office." His boss looked up at Luke, his eyes filled with angry.

Luke stood up, trying his best not to roll his eyes and actually give him attitude. "Fine, I'll see you Monday morning." He stormed out, not bothering to stop at his old unit. He went straight to the locker room, wiping at his tearing eyes.

He was scared for himself.