xxvi

xxvi

Christmas never met much to Luke. He celebrated it with his family, but he really didn't care. He liked the food and the family bonding, he liked getting school off, too. Now that he's (kind of) an adult, he enjoys going home early.

He walked through his open unit, watching them socialize with each other. When there weren't any fights breaking out, the units were actually pretty calm. There were inmates playing chess or napping on the benches. It was loud, but in a peaceful type of way.

"Leaving already?" Clifford asked, standing up from the metal table.

"You aren't supposed to sit on the table part," Luke responded, ignoring his original question.

Michael slowly sat back down on the table top. "You mean this?"

The blonde rolled his eyes. "Yes, to both of your questions."

Mike rocked back and forth on his heels. "Can I ask you something?"

"I'd prefer if you didn't."

"Lucas."

"Don't call me that."

"Officer Hemmings, you complete asshole, I thought we were friends." Michael had a way of saying everything. His worst words seemed so pleasant.

"Fine, fine. What is it?" Luke sat next to him on the proper seating. He crossed his skinny-jean-clad legs before looking up at the older man.

"When you leave here, do you feel like a prisoner?"

Luke looked down at his hands, trying to process Michael's question. "Not really, I don't ever feel like a prisoner."

"I know you've gotta somehow—you're locked up in here all day like the rest of us."

Luke didn't want to state that he got to go home at the end of the day. "I don't know how to explain it, Mike."

"Is your family having a big celebration or something tonight?"

Luke nodded with a sigh. "I've gotta explain my job to all my relatives."

"Bunch of white dudes?"

"Yepp," he said, laughing. "Did your family ever do anything?" Luke liked having conversations like this with Michael. Everything felt so different, it didn't feel like they were in prison, it didn't feel like Michael had his feet chained together.

Luke was sure he'd be moved back to Unit 2 soon, meaning he would have a little more freedom.

"No, we just kind of slept in."

"That's kind of nice. Is that what you wanna do next year?"

Michael smiled to himself as he realized that he'd be completely free next year. The days were getting closer and closer to his release date and, fuck, Michael was ecstatic. "For sure, Twink."

"You ruined our moment." Luke stood up, flattening out the white tee shirt on his upper body. "I'll see you Monday, Mike."

Michael smiled once more as he watched him leave. "Yeah," he said to himself, trying to hide the giggle. He, too, liked Luke a shit load.