xxxvi

xxxvi

Luke got out of the passenger seat of Calum's car, stretching out his back and yawning. It was early in the morning—still half an hour before 9. Today was evaluation day for Luke and Calum.

Each groups of officers had their own evaluation day, Luke hated being in the first group for it. There was no one to give him hints about what they were going to be tested on. He knew, since they were at the range, they'd be testing their shooting skills. They'd be weighing him, checking his body mass, then the mental part.

Luke remembers the psychology session of his hiring process, they'd question everything, not taking an 'I don't know' as a valid response. He knew he'd have to sit across from Ashton and almost confess his sins.

Calum rested his hand on Luke's shoulders, "Ready, Twink?"

"Dude, shut up." Luke pushed Cal's hand off of him as he started to head towards the check-in table.

The range was pretty much a dirt pit, wooden wall with plexiglass windows making anyone not shooting to see the shooters every move, every breath.

Luke wasn't really for guns, but he wasn't against them either. Training to shoot was part of his job, and he simply had to do it.

He leant down to sign in, Calum right next to him. "My eldest two are in love with you, in case you were wondering," Cal said, standing back up. "They want you to come over again, even if I'm not home."

"I'm their favorite Dad, right?" He asked, walking forward and towards the range with Calum.

They were allowed one round of ammunition to test out before it'd count towards their evaluation. Luke hasn't touched his gun in a solid 12 months.

"You probably are their favorite Dad," Calum responded as he gripped a pistol. He grabbed ear protection and headed to the shooting zone.

"When is number six due?"

Calum and Luke both loaded in their round, aiming at the target but not firing.

"So soon," Calum responded, "Eun is petrified."

"You're gonna, like," Luke paused to pull of the safety, "Stop after this one, right?"

Calum gave him a smile as he pulled off his safety. "Who knows?" He took a step to Luke's left, getting into his own shooting lane. He brought his ear protection up to his ears, pushing his safety glasses down his face.

Luke did the same, trying to get into his zone. He fired the first few, feeling the recoil deep in his sore arms. He tried to stop his tunnel vision, he was supposed to be able to see around him while still focusing on the target.

As any type of officer, they needed to be aware of their surroundings at all times. It was hard sometimes. Luke knows that the second the board comes over for his evaluation, he'd start missing most of the shots. He didn't so well under pressure.

He finished his round, not putting his gun down until he was positive the barrel was empty.

He moved out of the way, letting other officers take his spot. The blonde waited for his friend, both of them walking back to get their second round—this round being their evaluation round.

"You scared?" Calum asked Luke as they waited against the plexiglass wall.

Luke nodded. He was afraid that if he opened his mouth he'd just throw up.