Chapter Five: A Flower Begins To Blossom

Buzz.

Almost as soon as I placed my phone beside me on my bed, my phone lit up with a message. The knot that was already very much evident in my stomach now felt as if it had grown to four hundred times its size. I looked over to see John's name appear on my screen, and I shook as I picked it up in my hands. I forced myself to open the message, telling myself not to be so stupidly nervous. It was just a text. Get over yourself Katy.

From: John
It's nice to hear from you, Katy! I was starting to think I must've scared you off. How does lunch tomorrow sound? I'll bring the most important utensil for you: myself.

John x

I giggled as I read his message, smiling uncontrollably at his goofiness. What a smart Alec. I felt like a different person as I started to text him back and forth. He really was genuine and authentic about it. I don't think I'd ever known someone who would so willingly help me out on their own accord, and I was really thankful for it, even if we hadn't started to work together just yet. I caught myself laughing out loud at his replies, feeling like a giggly schoolgirl as I sat on my bed, still in only my towel, with my phone in my hands.

Who even was I? I hadn't felt like this in a long time. The sound of my laughter was almost like a foreign noise to my ears, but by God, was I enjoying it.

To: John
I look forward to seeing you tomorrow at 11am, at Little Door! Thank you again for helping me. I really appreciate it. X

From: John
You are most welcome, Katy. I will see you soon. Happy to be your hero in shining armour! John x

I giggled at his last message, slightly covering my mouth with the palm of my hand to make the sound of my laughter more discreet. I locked my phone and lightly threw it on the bed bedside me, smiling like an idiot, a smile plastered on my face which made me feel like a silly teenager.

"Katy?" I heard my sisters voice ask, before she came into my room, obviously she must've just gotten back from wherever she'd gone before.

"Hey," I said lightly, giving her a full smile as she walked closer, all of my pearly whites on display. She gave me an odd look, probably wondering why on Earth I was so happy all of a sudden, especially considering how flustered I was beforehand.

"Why're you so happy?" She asked, slightly laughing, giving me one of her heartwarming smiles as she sat beside me on my bed, placing a familiar brown paper bag in my lap.

"Well, I mean, duh," I laughed as I pointed down to the bag she'd just placed in my lap, making her laugh and roll her eyes. I didn't want to tell her I'd just been texting John and we'd organised to meet up tomorrow. I don't know why; I'd always shared everything with my sister. I guess because I didn't want her to make a big deal out of nothing, even though she was the one to remind me I should message him.

I felt incredibly nervous and excited for tomorrow already, and I was actually wondering whether or not I'd be able to sleep much tonight, if at all. I was definitely scared and terrified to meet up with him in person, considering how much of a fan I was of him. I was scared I was going to make a fool of myself, which I probably was. It'd been a long time since I'd been around a male, and it was like I had forgotten how to compose myself. I knew it was lunch, I knew that - but I was still nervous.

Nervous because this is the first step towards mending yourself, right Katy?

I shook the thought out of my head as I tore the brown paper bag open that read Taco Bell, soon devouring the devilishly good savouries inside, though I noticed Angela was looking at me oddly as she ate and scrolled through her phone.