Chapter Forty-Seven: A Broken Heart (Or Two)

JOHN'S POV

"Boys... Can we get you three in the room, please? Your mother and I need to have a talk with you," My father Richard asked, popping his head in the door as I sat around the visitors room with my two brothers - Carl and Ben - where we were playing around with a new song I'd been working on for the past couple of days since being out here in my hometown of Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Ever since getting that call last week, my heart hadn't stopped racing. I'd immediately flown out here to visit my mom in hospital, as did my two brothers. As my mother was usually the healthiest, most active person I knew, it was strange and definitely out of the blue. Knocked unconscious after having a blank and slipping to the floor of the bathroom, she thankfully woke up two days after we arrived after much worry, confusion and complete stress. I'd decided to stay here for a while longer, to spend time with her and my family, and to make sure she was safe. It was definitely scary, and I didn't want to take any chances by leaving again. Besides that, there was nothing really back for me in Los Angeles right now, besides Katy, I guess. But even then we weren't together.

Since getting here over a week ago, Katy and I had been constantly texting one another. It was so sweet how much she cared for my family, like her own. She was always asking how my mom was going, how I was doing, how everyone was doing. We'd organised so that she was going to come out here, and stay for a few days - she was actually flying in later tonight. I was nervous to see her, especially after last time we'd seen each other. Though I knew I had to push everything aside - everything to do with our relationship - and to focus on my Mom and her health. That was what was important. Our relationship, it could wait - and Katy agreed. I needed her right now, as a friend, and that's what I was getting. And thank God for her, truly. She was keeping me sane in a scenario bound to make me go crazy.

I let out a sigh as I unwrapped the guitar strap from my shoulder, gently placing one of my favourite guitars - one I'd purposely left back home - down on the floor, leaning it against the wall before following my brothers back into my mothers hospital suite, all of us confused why suddenly our parents wanted to have a talk to us, considering we'd all been here since the early hours of this morning. I looked over to Carl, who gave a half-hearted shrug. Weird.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, breaking the silence as I walked into the room, seeing both my mother and father have very grievous facial expressions, my mother holding onto my fathers hand tightly as he stood beside her hospital bed.

Instantly, a weird feeling came across my body - something I couldn't describe. Almost as if I'd felt it before; but I hadn't, or at the very least I couldn't imagine where and when I'd felt like this.

I let out a nervous breath as I leaned against the end of the bed, looking back and forth between my two parents who looked extremely uncomfortable - as if they'd been forced into this situation, and it was then that I knew they were both hiding something.

"Your mother and I... We need to talk to you about something important," My father sighed as he looked back at her, and then to the three of us who were impatiently waiting for them to tell us whatever it was that they were obviously hiding.

"Well... Shoot. You're making us nervous," My brother Ben said, letting out a chuckle in reply as my parents only appeared graver than before.

"We don't know how to tell you this, boys. Your mom and I... We are selling the house," My father sighed, looking guilty at the three of us as we awaited for him to continue talking, though surprised at the fact that they were selling our childhood home.