Chapter Thirty Six: New Year, New Fear

"If anyone finds out, he's going to kill me."

Nothing in this world could prepare me for the words which made their way out of Katy's mouth. Nothing. My grip on her loosened unconsciously as another wave of shock rid through my body. She trembled opposite me, sniffling and crying still though I was of no use to console her now, because now I was scared.

"Katy... What? He? Who's he?" I asked softly, though with much determination and admittance. This whole situation was getting more terrifying by the second... Katy's condition alone scared the shit out of me. This had to be some kind of sick joke. Things like this just didn't happen in real life.

But they did, and they are.

She didn't give me an answer, instead her whimpering only increased and her entire body shook as she started to hyperventilate. Shit. As much as I needed to know what was going on - that it was crucial for me to understand who did this - I couldn't make her anymore upset than she already was. I had to get her out of here, we had to leave. As much as it was confusing to me, her safety came first. That was my ultimate priority... And suddenly, her home didn't feel so safe to me anymore. I had to get her out of here, and fast. This was becoming more terrifying by the second.

"We need to get you out of here. C'mon, baby we're going someplace else, okay?" I whispered into her ear as I held her, her body mimicking that of a child - ting and fragile. It was scary for me to see her like this, so completely shaken up - and I had no way of making things better. I still didn't understand anything about this whole thing. It had come out of nowhere, but I knew it wasn't a joke. Hell, this was as real as things could get. I just hoped this wasn't the start of something else.

"We... We can't go to the hospital, please..." She whispered desperately into my chest, clutching my cotton shirt with all her might. Her grip on me was so strong, so urgent - she was scared. As much as I knew I had to take her to the hospital - it was only my duty of care as her boyfriend and companion - I knew I had to trust Katy's instincts. I didn't know what this 'guy' wanted, or what he needed from her, but I was not about to take any chances. He might be bluffing for all I know, but I wasn't going to take that risk. Not if Katy's life is on the line. There was just no way.

"I know. I'm going to take you to my apartment, okay? It's going to be okay baby. You can trust me, okay?" I whispered quietly into her ear as I rubbed my hand gently up and down her back, which was shivering in the chill of the night air. I kept my voice down in sheer paranoia, not knowing who or what could be around and listening to the both of us right now. I had a horrible, sneaking suspicion we were being watched, and it wasn't a good feeling.

For the first time in my life, I too was full of fear.

I gently kissed Katy's soft hair as she moved her head, only to nod at me as tears continued running down her cheeks - the cheeks that were once so porcelain and perfect, now an urgent shade of scarlet to compliment the dark bruise under her eye and her badly split bottom lip. I held her cold hands in my own as I stood up, my knees cracking loudly from the sudden movement up and off of the concrete for the first time in minutes.

"Here," I said as I bent down slightly to help her up, instantly recognising that her condition was much worse than I originally saw. The fact that she could barely walk was enough, her face clenching and letting out a wince as she tried to move her legs, her hands clutching the right side of her ribcage in pain. I didn't hesitate to stop her in her tracks, taking it upon myself to gently carry her, like a child, towards my car, which was parked in her garage downstairs in the house. I both quietly and quickly made my way from the outside garden into the house, locking the door behind me as I made my way down towards the carport, hoping no-one would see the both of us. Which, thankfully, no one did.