Chapter Twenty-Three: Three Little Words

A/N: This chapter contains mature content. Recommended for readers 18+.

"Maybe one day soon, I'll have to take you to Connecticut to see my hometown," John smiled as he lifted the mug of coffee up to his mouth, giving me a cute smile as he did so.

"I would love that," I smiled back. I really would. Everything in our relationship was going as planned - as perfect as it could be, despite being away from one another.

"But for now, I think meeting my parents is enough for one day," He chuckled, his thick waves of hair bouncing perfectly over his face.

I giggled back, nervously, as I lifted my own mug of coffee to my mouth, the warmth of the substance seeming to be a thing of comfort. John really wanted me to meet his family now, which was only the next step in our relationship - but I was really nervous. I guess because I hadn't been this... Far, or committed, in a relationship since Russell.

"You look so nervous, babe," John chuckled as he moved his hand on the table, resting it atop of mine as he gently drew circles on my skin with his thumb.

"That's because I am," I answered, letting out a nervous laugh as I progressed by biting my lip and picking up my coffee, continuing to drink it out of habit.

"Don't be," He smiled, giving my hand a light squeeze. "They're going to love you... Trust me."

"I do trust you," I smiled back cheekily, giving him a wink.

"I'm glad," He laughed, making me laugh with him. He was so cute, and he didn't even have to try. I really was happy with him in this relationship... But I think my past would forever haunt me.

"Looks like they're here," He smiled, squeezing my hand as he looked past me, and I took that two seconds to let in a deep breath, in attempt to reduce the nerves, before turning around.

Both John and I stood up as we faced to see the eyes of his parents, who looked to be around a similar age of mine. John held my hand in his as I walked over to his side, holding me close to his body to comfort me as I stood there, more nervous than ever.

"John! It's so good to see you," His mother stated, and I gathered from the first impression I had of her that I would like her, I only hoped she would like me too.

"Mom, I've missed you," He chuckled as they both embraced in a hug, and I awkwardly stood on the side, biting my lip like a young child. "This is my girlfriend, Katy. Katy, this is my Mom Margaret, and my Dad Richard."

I smiled as John introduced me as his girlfriend - it still felt so surreal. I would have never imagined we would date, or if we did - that it would be like this.

"Isn't she beautiful," Margaret smiled as she looked at John and back to me, making me blush shyly. "It's lovely to meet you, Katy. We've heard so much about you."

She opened her arms to initiate a hug, and I didn't hesitate to give her one - I already felt welcome, and it hadn't even been five minutes yet. I have to say I think it was a Southern thing.

I honestly had the best time having breakfast with John's parents. They were so lovely, so down-to-earth, so kind. They made me feel so welcome and a part of their family, which was a really great feeling. I cuddled myself into John's side as we ate, wanting him close to me. It was if I was on a timer, that this incredible experience - this relationship - with him, was rare and that only drove me to treasure moments with him more.