The Third Task

Phoenix couldn't quite wrap her head around the mere idea that George Weasley had kissed her. That their lips had connected in the midst of an argument. That the two of them knew, from that moment on, that their friendship would never quite be the same. The thought made Phoenix's stomach lurch uncomfortably and nervous butterflies had taken residence in her lower abdomen. The last thing that she wanted to do was risk her friendship with George, no matter how much she liked him, and apparently how much he liked her. She had been aware that even liking George more than a friend was dangerous, but for them to have shared a kiss... that could only be described as disastrous for their friendship. Up until a few hours ago, their friendship had been purely platonic. But then of course George had kissed her, the tidal wave that had come crashing over their friendship.

What were she and George supposed to do now? The euphoria that she had been feeling since the kiss had worn off since and now Phoenix felt an increasing amount of anxiety because she now knew that she and George were meant to talk about the kiss. And... whatever their relationship was now.

But that conversation could wait. The third and final task was set to take place that afternoon and excitement was evident around the castle. The four champions on the other hand exuded an aura of nervousness; Harry Potter was seated at the Gryffindor table, his hands gripping his cutlery tightly, while Cedric Diggory was so pale he made the Fat Friar look almost human. The Beauxbatons and Durmstrang champions also appeared apprehensive about the task, both Fleur and Viktor had been seen with dark circles under their eyes as they smiled unconvincingly at their friends.

Phoenix had other things on her mind aside from George and the third task however. She needed to talk to Dumbledore as soon as possible. Though, she thought, speaking to him on the day of the final task may prove to be difficult with most of the morning consisting of interviews with reporters from the Daily Prophet and even (Phoenix had overheard Luna Lovegood practically singing about it) The Quibbler.

The violet haired witch raced down the hallway, her breakfast lay long forgotten at Gryffindor table. Phoenix grimaced as she reached the ugly gargoyle that was sitting happily in front of the entrance to the headmaster's office.

"Cockroach Clust–"

"Miss Lancaster,"

Phoenix jumped a foot in the air at Dumbledore's kind voice. She turned to meet his twinkling blue eyes with a bright smile.

"Headmaster," she never registered just how out of breath she was until she spoke to her headmaster. Phoenix regained her breath before continuing, "I really need to talk to you. It's important... about Karka–"

"Albus!"

"Shit," Phoenix muttered under her breath, her eyes and hair subconsciously changing to a dark brown in the hope that the Durmstrang headmaster would not recognise her. He was strolling towards Dumbledore with a nervous but determined smile upon his face.

"Just a moment Igor, Miss Lancaster wishes to speak with me."

Igor Karkaroff's face had turned almost as pale as Cedric looked during breakfast. Shit, shit, shit! Did Phoenix really want to tell Dumbledore now? Did she really want to risk ruining the entire day for the two headmasters, well Phoenix wasn't too fussed with ruining Karkaroff's day but not so much Dumbledore's. But Phoenix couldn't not tell her headmaster, Karkaroff perhaps knew that Phoenix knew he was there during her mother's murder. That he was the Death Eater who had slashed Jane Lancaster across the face before she had been so carelessly murdered by Phoenix's step-aunt. The idea of standing only a few feet away from one of the Death Eaters who had been present at her mother's murder made her skin crawl. It made her feel physically sick. It made her want to throw all the curses she knew at Igor Karkaroff.