The Second Task

That fact that Fred Weasley knew of Phoenix's crush on his twin brother had unnerved her greatly. Though Fred had reassured her that he was not one to break a pinky promise she could not help but be nervous. After all, Fred and George did talk about everything. Maybe she and Fred should have made the Unbreakable Vow instead!

"I haven't seen Harry yet," Angelina said with a frown as she peered down the excitable Gryffindor table. "He's going to be doing the task with an empty stomach!"

"I was talking to Dean and Seamus this morning and apparently he didn't return to his dormitory last night," Lee said as he tied a Gryffindor scarf around his neck.

Yet again, they were all wearing the Gryffindor colours in support of Harry for the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. Fred, George, and Lee had decided on not drawing lions on their face like they had for the first task but instead had drawn a scar on their forehead and scribed 'Harry' on one cheek and 'Potter' on the other. Phoenix's hair was of course a ruby-red with several golden highlights faded in and Angelina and Alicia had made a red banner that read: HARRY POTTER, HOGWARTS CHAMPION!

"He'll be fine," said George with a wide smile, "probably snuck into the library for a bit of late night research on turning into a frog."

Both Fred and Phoenix laughed but before the others could question them about why Harry would want to turn into a frog, Professor McGonagall called the Gryffindors forward, to begin to head to the stands.

The grounds were still rather slippery from the rain that had poured over the last few days. Phoenix could make out through the heads of students what looked like the small boats that were used to carry first years across the lake before their sorting. The boats had appeared to be enchanted to fit more than ten people in one boat. Phoenix, along with, Fred, George, Angelina, Alicia, Lee, Ginny, Dean, Seamus, and Neville all climbed into a boat and it set off almost immediately, swaying as the water lapped at the swallows.

"Wow!" Fred exclaimed as he saw, along with everyone else in the boat, the high stands that stood, either built or simply floating on the water's surface, well over thirty feet in the air. "Really outdone themselves haven't they?"

Phoenix felt as sick as she had at the World Cup as they reached the high benches of the stands. She clung to the rails and peered over the edge.

"On second thoughts," she winced as she tore her eyes away to grin at Fred and George. "Perhaps I am scared of heights."

It was lucky perhaps that Lee had brought his father's binoculars or Phoenix would not be able to see what was happening at the golden-draped judges table that stood at the water's edge. She could Cedric, looking cold but staring as determinedly at the water as he had at his dragon. Fleur was looking rather pale and frantic, not much unlike her usual sophisticatedly beautiful self. Krum had his usual gloomy persona, his shoulders slumped and glowering at the waters dancing ripples. But still, there was no sign of Harry.

"Where is he?" Alicia said as she leaned over the side of the stands, as though expecting for Harry to make a grand entrance by jumping out of the water. "It's almost nine!"

Phoenix frowned and handed the binocular's to an eager looking George.

"What happens if he doesn't show up?" she asked Angelina who was biting her lip.

"I imagine they would just start the task without him," Angelina mused as Fred's arm draped over her shoulder. "Karkaroff probably wouldn't mind."

"Karkaroff does look awfully chuffed," George observed, the binoculars pressed over his eyes. "Bagman looks like he's going to cry!" he laughed before adjusting the binoculars once again. "And... It's... Percy! What the bloody hell is Percy doing here?!"