The Triwizard Tournament

"It's so cold," Phoenix stuttered as she hurried up the steps to Hogwarts alongside Angelina, Alicia and Katie. Fred, George, and Lee were already up ahead, their legs were much longer than theirs and they had practically flew into the castle and out of the rain.

"I know," Angelia said as a flash of lighting lit up the sky.

They were now in front of the oak front doors, where Fred, George, and Lee were waiting for them to catch up.

"Alright slow pokes," greeted Fred.

"Alright lanky," Angelina retorted as they all entered the warmth and safety of the torch lit entrance hall and into the Great Hall. The hall was decorated as usual for the start-of-term feast. The four long House tables were overcrowded with students, golden plates and goblets on the tables and hundreds of flaming candles floated over them in midair.

Phoenix and the others walked past the Slytherin table, where some of the members the Slytherin Quidditch hissed and sneered as they passed and Fred and George made rude gestures at them. They walked past the Ravenclaw table and the Hufflepuff table and then finally sat down on the far side of the hall at the Gryffindor table. Phoenix had sat down between George and Angelina and she looked up at the enchanted ceiling, which reflected the night sky outside, dark clouds were rumbling with thunder above their heads and lighting flashed.

"I feel sorry for the first years," she said, frowning. "They're probably going to drown in the lake."

"You feel sorry for everybody Nix," Alicia said.

"I know." Phoenix replied.

"I can't see any new faces," said George, his eyes looking up and down the staff table. "Maybe they couldn't find a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Or maybe Snape finally got the job," smirked Phoenix. Her friends looked at her in horror, as though this statement was the worst thing that could possibly happen, which is was. Professor Snape was everybody's least favourite teacher, apart from the students in his house, Slytherin. He was the potions master at Hogwarts but everyone knew that he wanted the position of the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, but Dumbledore never allowed him for reasons nobody knew.

"I was joking," Phoenix said, "Dumbledore would never allow it."

"I'm hungry," groaned Fred, looking longingly at the golden plates.

"You're always hungry Fred," said Angelina, staring at Fred incredulously.

Fred was about to answer, when the doors to the Great Hall opened and the entire hall fell silent. Professor McGonagall led a line of nervous looking first years to the very top of the Hall. The first years looked as though they didn't use boats to travel over the lake, but looked as though they had swam across it. They were soaked from head to toe. The first years filed nicely in front of the staff table and looked around, nervously, shaking from cold and nerves, as they stood in front of the entire school.

Professor McGonagall had placed a stool in front of the first years and, on top of it, was an old and battered looking wizard's hat. The entire hall stared at it in silence, before a tear that was near the brim of the hat opened wide like a mouth and suddenly hat broke into song:

"A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known;

Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.