Ministry Hearings and Prefect Badges

AN: a) it's my birthday b) I am extremely excited for the next chapter, Phoenix and the twins return to Hogwarts and meet the vision in pink that is Dolores Umbridge. I also loved this chapter, so I hope you enjoy!

Phoenix did not know why she had agreed to join in the de-doxying the following morning. She had spent the vast majority of the morning, a piece of cloth held tightly to her mouth, spraying Doxycide at any Doxys that flew out from behind the curtains of the drawing room. She wished she had just slept in instead and arrived with Will later in the day.

It had past midday before they stopped to have lunch.

Fred and George were eyeing the bowl of Doxy eggs cautiously, they had told Phoenix beforehand they were eager to experiment with Doxy venom for their Skiving Snackboxes (both their pockets were filled with unconscious Doxys) and were evidently keen to experiment with the Doxy eggs also.

"I think we'll tackle those after lunch," exhaled Mrs. Weasley, nodding toward the glass cabinets that stood either side of the mantelpiece. Phoenix could see that they held a strange collection of objects behind the dusty glass, she frowned as she noticed a glass vile filled with what looked suspiciously like blood.

The doorbell rang, it's rather piercing ring seemed to reverberate around Grimmauld Place. The twins, Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Harry and Phoenix all looked at Mrs. Weasley as she narrowed her eyes at the sound.

"Stay here," she instructed, seizing a large bag of dead rats that Sirius had left in the room earlier. "I'll bring up some sandwiches."

The now familiar sounds of Mrs. Blacks screams sounded just as Mrs. Weasley left the drawing room, the door snapping shut behind her.

Everyone rushed to the window at once, all craning their necks to see who had arrived. Mundungus Fletcher stood on the doorstep, carrying what looked like a dozen cauldrons in his arms.

"Mundungus!" exclaimed Hermione. "What's he brought all those cauldrons for?"

"I believe he's using Grimmauld Place for a place to hide them," mused Phoenix.

"Isn't that what he was doing the night he was supposed to be tailing me? Picking up dodgy cauldrons?" asked Harry.

"Yeah, you're right!" said Fred, turning to the others as the front door opened and Mundungus struggled under the weight of the cauldrons. "Blimey, Mum won't like that..."

Mrs. Black's screeching had ceased, the quiet once again restored. The twins crossed curiously over to the door of the drawing room, listening intently.

"Mundungus is talking to Sirius and Kingsley," Fred observed. "Can't hear properly... do you reckon we can risk the Extendable Ears?"

"Might be worth it," George mused. "I could sneak upstairs and get a pair–"

But at that very moment, the unmistakeable sound of Mrs. Weasley's angry bellows tore through the house. They could hear clear as day what Mrs. Weasley was shouting, there was no need for Extendable Ears.

"WE ARE NOT RUNNING A HIDEOUT FOR STOLEN GOOD!"

Fred smiled idly, opening the drawing room door, allowing Mrs. Weasley's voice to trickle into the room, making it much, much louder. "I love hearing Mum shouting at someone else, it makes such a nice change."

"–COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE, AS IF WE HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT WITHOUT YOU DRAGGING STOLEN CAULDRONS INTO THE HOUSE–"

"The idiots are letting her get into her stride," said George with a sigh. "You've got to head her off early otherwise she builds up a head of steam and goes on for hours. And she's been dying to have a go at Mundungus ever since he sneaked off when he was supposed to be following you, Harry – and there goes Sirius's mum again."