A Pinky Promise

When Phoenix climbed back into bed that night she found that her dreams contained no flashes of green light, no images of her mother falling to the ground, no Bellatrix Lestrange. She slept peacefully. Perhaps it was because of the last few dregs of Dreamless Sleep still coursing through her body, or perhaps it was because she and George had stayed in the common room way after curfew, talking about anything and everything – excluding the dream of course.

"What are you doing over the summer?" George had asked her as they sat, facing one another, on the loveseat in front of the fire.

"Well we have our Apparition tests in the summer so hopefully I would have passed that," she had replied, moving her legs into a more comfortable place so that they were resting over George's. "And I've thought about getting a summer job... a Muggle one perhaps working in a bookstore or a cinema–"

"A what?"

"It's a place where Muggles go to watch films. They're really fun! You and I should go to one and... and bring Fred and the others along as well," Phoenix had found herself blushing after this. She had very nearly suggested that she and George could go alone and was quick to cover it.

George however seemed not to have noticed. Most probably because he did not know how romantic going to a cinema alone could get. He had smiled enthusiastically and then questioned Phoenix about every single film she had ever seen.

She slept so peacefully in fact that she very nearly missed breakfast.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Phoenix glared at both Angelina and Alicia as she looked down at the empty golden plate.

"Because you are actually incredibly difficult to wake up," Alicia told her. "And we thought that you deserved a real rest."

"But now I've missed breakfast!" Phoenix said miserably.

"Have some of mine," George said, offering Phoenix a couple of pieces of bacon and a sausage. She smiled gratefully at George and ate her food hungrily.

"I forgot to ask you, but what lessons did I miss yesterday?" she enquired of Fred and Lee.

"Well you missed Potions," Lee grinned. "And Herbology, the Venomous Tentacula grabbed me. I thought I was a goner!"

"I believe you also missed Charms and Transfiguration–"

"Transfiguration?" Phoenix exclaimed in a high voice, her fork dropping onto the table with a loud clatter. Without warning, she dug around her feet for her bag and pulled out her Transfiguration books and notes. "We were supposed to do more on transfiguring our appearance. I can't believe I missed Transfiguration!" Phoenix complained loudly. She hit her head, rather harshly, against her copy of Guide to Advanced Transfiguration.

"It was just some more human transfiguration," Lee told her with what he thought was an encouraging smile, but in Phoenix's rather exhausted and now foul mood, it looked more like a smirk. "You don't really need to learn any of that stuff, you're a Metamorphmagus."

"Oh really?" her voice was dripping with false cheerfulness and sarcasm as she fixed Lee with a rather cold glare. "I haven't noticed."

"Al'right! Keep your hair on!"

She grumbled in reply, her Transfiguration book falling onto the table with a loud bang!

Why she was in a terrible mood was not because she had missed Transfiguration however. She was dreading the meeting with the Healers. The worst, and to her the most likely, outcome of the meeting would be that she would have to have her memory modified again. George had tried to reason with her that they couldn't possibly do so, but Phoenix had pointed out that if it was her father's wishes then she would have no choice, after all she still underage.