Final Farewell

The week that followed was the quietest Phoenix had seen the castle. Cedric's death weighed heavily over the students and Phoenix could feel a Cedric-shaped hole in her heart, where they spent Potions together mostly laughing secretly about Snape or discussing Quidditch in Madam Pince's library. But with Cedric gone Phoenix's Potion classes remained dull and silent, her time in the library was awfully lonesome.

The morning after Cedric's death, Dumbledore had given a heart-breaking and mournful speech about Cedric. At one point he had difficulty being heard as Cho Chang had exploded in sobs. He also asked for the students to give Harry the space that he needed. The reason behind Cedric's death however, Dumbledore had decided to leave out of his speech. Phoenix understood this, as telling the entirety of Hogwarts and several other pupils from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang that it was because of Lord Voldermort's covert return may have caused slight distress. And, though Phoenix didn't wish to admit it, who would have believed him?

Phoenix had been left shaken when Ron and Hermione had informed herself, Fred and George about just how Cedric had died. How he had been cast aside by the Avada Kedavra curse like so many wizards before him. The mere thought of Lord Voldermort returning to power and even being alive was enough to push her over the edge.

When Phoenix walked into the Great Hall alongside Fred and George for the Leaving Feast, they found that the drapes (which usually harboured the winning House's colours) were decorated black. They were for Cedric. As she noticed this, her entire body seemed to sag as she slumped into a seat on the Gryffindor table. She felt a nudge to her right and knew immediately who it was.

"I'm fine George," she reassured him, sending a small smile. "It's just a little sad, you know?"

He nodded understandably, seemingly unsure whether or not he should comfort her or leave her be. But his uncertainty turned into empathy when Phoenix took his hand in hers under the shelter of Gryffindor table and squeezing their hands together.

George and Phoenix were yet to talk about exactly what their 'relationship' was but considering the events at the Third Task, Phoenix didn't feel like talking about her feelings (she hardly ever did) and George didn't want to intrude.

Phoenix's now grey eyes roamed over the staff table and she almost choked on her drink when she saw Mad-Eye Moody. Following the days after Cedric's death, Hermione had disclosed the information on exactly where Harry had gone after the Third Task. Hermione had told Phoenix with wide eyes that Alastor Moody had practically dragged the injured fourth year to his office, interrogating him on what happened in the graveyard. This was when Harry realised that something was wrong, he had not told Mad-Eye about the graveyard. That sent shivers down Phoenix's entire being.

"Mad-Eye's a Death Eater?" Phoenix had exclaimed, Fred and George both lost for words from either side of her.

"No, it's much worse than that," Hermione had said, shaking her head.

It turned out that Professor Moody, wasn't actually the real Mad-Eye. Somebody, who was presumed to be dead, had been brewing Polyjuice Potion for the past ten months, acting as the ex-Auror. This had shocked Phoenix greatly, but the person who had been acting as Mad-Eye was the reason she had very nearly cried in front of Hermione and the twins.

"Who was it?" Fred had asked.

"Barty Crouch Junior, Mr. Crouch's son."

Those words had choked Phoenix. She let out a noise between a sob and a small scream. One of the Death Eaters, present at her mother's death had been in the castle since September. She had taken his classes. They had spoken about her dream to be an Auror. She had been face to face with him countless of times and it made her feel almost paralyzed from shock. So to see Professor Moody at the staff table made her stomach plummet.