The Other Side of the Glass

"Why are you so wet?"

Phoenix was soaking wet from head to foot, clutching onto Angelina's shoulders as she gasped for air. She had run from the very top stand of the Quidditch pitch to the library where she and Angelina now stood.

"Did you and George fall in the lake or something?" She enquired, clearly amused.

George. His name alone made Phoenix's stomach feel queasy. She took a deep breath, steeling herself before finally she breathed, "I like him."

Angelina, instead of letting out a girlish squeal as Phoenix had anticipated, had cheered loudly as though they had just scored a goal during a Quidditch match, and tackled her with a hug.

"Girls! Be quiet!" Madam Pince snapped at them as Angelina continued to squeeze the living daylights out of Phoenix by hugging her.

"I knew it! I knew it!" She finally let go of Phoenix, who was relieved that Angelina had released her, her face blushing brightly, "tell me everything!"

She didn't tell Angelina everything necessarily. Not the part that included crying, or what she had been upset about, or what she had told George. She told Angelina everything that she had realised about her new-found feelings toward the red-headed prankster.

"It's like you said Ange, it was one of those moments where I just forgot about everything else and just thought of George. And then those thoughts sort of clouded over everything else and... then I just realised that he's always there for me and I like, no love, those cliché feelings I have in my stomach when I'm around him and..." Angelina had begun to laugh and Phoenix knew why, she was beginning to sound exactly like a schoolgirl with a huge crush (which in fact she was a schoolgirl but she felt as though being sixteen she had more maturity and it wasn't exactly a big crush, yet anyhow).

"You're in the stage of your crush where you annoy the crap out of your friends," Angelina observed as they walked down the marble staircase together, "Normally I would probably slap you in the face for being so sappy around me but because you put up with me doing that about Fred, I won't slap you. Instead I'll listen and tell you how much of a sap you are,"

"Oh how considerate of you Angelina," Phoenix replied with a sarcastic smile, "Do you think I enjoyable being all sappy?"

"Well you seem like you are," Angelina sang as they reached the entrance hall, "Oooo George is in there," she nudged Phoenix's arm, who felt her face burn bright red.

"I'm going to have to put up with you being snide aren't I?" Phoenix asked with a groan, "Just tone it down when we're around people okay?"

"I can't promise anything," Angelina replied in the same dreamy tone that Luna Lovegood used when talking about Nargals, "I'm allowed to be snide about this! I'm your best friend for pity sake!"

"What is Angelina allowed to be snide about?" Phoenix and Angelina actually jumped at the sound of Fred's voice. They had been unconsciously walking towards the Gryffindor table and had approached the others without even realising it. Phoenix could see George looking at them both curiously; she noticed that George was as soaked as she was.

"Oh nothing," Angelina said airily, sitting down beside Fred with Phoenix on her other side, "just girly stuff,"

"If it's girly stuff then I'm not interested," Lee said, rolling his eyes and continuing his conversation with Fred and George.

As January drifted into a cold and wet February, Angelina's comments did not subside, in fact they increased greatly. Nearly every lesson that she and Angelina had together did not pass without Angelina bringing up the subject of George. Even in potions where Lee was only feet away, Angelina would whisper things over her cauldron, such as 'do you smell George in your Amortentia?' or 'is there a potion that will cure your love sickness for George?'. Every time this happened Phoenix would throw what was ever in her hands at Angelina (she made sure she never threw her carving knife at her), this usually resulted in Phoenix getting a detention or a scolding from her teacher, though once she had hit Warrington in the back of the head with a flobberworm, which wasn't in anyone's opinion wasn't a bad thing (though Professor Snape begged to differ).