Chapter 21

I yawned as I continued to listen to Mr. Phillips' lecture go on and on about Pride and Prejudice, a book we aren't covering. He thought since this was Honors English class, we should know about books we wouldn't cover 'till Senior year...

There was the shuffling of feet in the background. Anxiety filled the air. Seems like everyone was just as impatient as I was to get out of here. It's Friday! We have things to do! I have things to do!

A note landed on my journal, where I was currently doodling anything I could think of. Nervous? it read in close, clean handwriting. Skylar.

I gave her a slow, tight nod of my head. I had signed up for the musical after much pressure from not only Skylar (which she always does,) but from Ryan, Chaz, and Justin as well. Sigh.

My eyes wandered up to the clock. Two minutes to go. So close, yet so far.

You'll be a-mazing! another note read as it handed on my notebook also. A girl can hope so...

The bell's ringing echoed throughout the room as I quickly grabbed my backpack, stuffing my books into it, and made my way out of the classroom. My feet once again traveled subconsciously as I ran the lines through my head. What will be the ending of you, my... my... my love? My songbird? My-

"Nina!" The combination of the sounds of shouting and feet interrupted my rehersal as I arrived at my locker. "Hey, what's the rush?"

"Auditions," I answered quickly as I set my bag in my locker, closing the door and setting off once again. Justin kept pace with me.

"Oh right! I'm auditioning too," he said with a smile.

I merely nodded in reply and I entered the auditorium, feeling my body relaxed as my gaze laid on the stage, where a single spotlight stood.

"Alright, I believe everyone's here!" a cheery, female voice called as every head turned towards the stage, where a woman sporting a red tee and blue jeans and a man in a white dress shirt and khaki pants stood. "You all should have your own, original monologues prepared."

Justin glanced at me, whispering in a panicked tone, "Original...?!"

I looked over at him, giving him a nod. "Yeah... we're had a whole month to write it..."

He was about to answer when another voice interrupted. "Mr. Bieber," Mr. Grimms, the man onstage, started, "May Mrs. Grimms and I have a word with you?"

The look on his face was the first sign of defeat. His shoulders sagged as he trudged upstage.

I sat in the nearest seat, pulling out a folded piece of paper. I opened it and read my monologue silently. There sentences revealed a lot about myself. Of course, I'll never admit that.

"Nina Anderson?" a voice called out, gaining my attention. "Are you ready?"

A nervous lump formed in my throat as I soundlessly nodded, standing up and walking to the stage. I climbed up the steps, facing downstage as I looked out to what seemed like an empty audience.

"Whenever you are, Nina," Mrs. Grimms' voice rang out. A deep breath entered my lungs and I closed my eyes.

"What will be the ending of you, my friend?" I recited quietly, my voice shaking. "Will you merely let yourself fade into the blurred background of time?

"Or will you let your stubborn, vivid nature cause you to reach out and grasp your fate? How many times have I asked you this, only to be pushed away, back into the depths of your mind!" I steadily got louder, letting my voice ring out.

"Must I remind you of how I was the one to tell him of your emotions? You love him, admit it, foolish, naive child!

"Do not let yourself be discouraged by one mistake!" I shook my head as I stared down at the stage. "But let your thoughts be rid of him, child... You are young, new to the world... There are other, bright futures; other chances at the mystery of the heart and it's wants..." Staring straight out, I finished,

"Even if it hurts."

~*~*~

A/N: Hey guys, again, I'm SOOOOO sorry for not posting! I'm becoming a procrastinator, I am. :S Although I can say, I had fun writing this chapter. :)

And yesh, while we're at the subject, I did write this monologue all by myself. =D

...Nothing else to really say...

Please READ, COMMENT, VOTE, AND FAN!!!!

Thanks so much!

~TNT :D