Chapter 24

I watched as Eric interacted with several people onstage, trying to make this scene as dramatic but light-hearted as possible. Several girls beside me giggled to each other while watching Michael, Eric's character, try to serenade one of the female characters by singing.

"I wish Justin would've tried out," one of the girls, a red head named Christy, admitted with a shy smile.

"But Nina would've kissed him! Lucky!" another of the group, a girl with dirty blond hair, exclaimed.

The two of them glanced over at me, probably checking to see if I heard them. I merely pursed my lips and tried to continue working on my English homework. Meanwhile, Justin seemed to be picking on Eric's acting once again...

"Well, your boyfriend seems to love picking on mine," a new voice informed, taking the free seat next to me. I inhaled sharply through my nose.

"He's doing his job," I answered back. Rachel merely smirked at me. My eyes met hers as I paused. "Can I help you anymore, Rachel?"

"Have you heard the rumors about you and Justin?"

"...Excuse me?"

"The rumors. 'Bout you and Justin," she started. "Apparently everyone's talking about his affections for you..."

I looked over at her in surprised. "What are you talking about?"

She laughed for a moment. "Isn't it kind of obvious? There's a reason as to why he makes Eric work harder and says you're doing everything perfectly."

"He doesn't say that!"

"Then you obviously need to look closer," she shot back. "Next practice, take note of how much he smiles when he looks over at you. You'll be surprised at how happy he looks."

I stared at her as everyone was released for the evening.

Rachel gave me another smirk and slung her backpack over her shoulder. "Trust me, you can see it. "And with that, she walked away, presumably to her car outside and go home.

Soon enough, there were only a few lingering people left, myself included.

"Hey Nina, why aren't you heading home?" Justin asked as he approached where I was sitting.

I shrugged as I (finally) finished my English and slipped my textbook back into my bag. "I just wanted to finish my homework before I sat my butt on the couch and fall asleep like I usually do."

A smile appeared on his lips as his slid his hands into his pockets and headed in my direction. "You do know you won't be able to reach your locker because the door to our hallway is closed, right?"

"Oh, right... Damn...." I picked my backpack and set it on my shoulder. "Well, at least it's done I guess."

"Can I take you home?" Justin asked suddenly, taking my backpack before I could even reply.

"What about my car?" I answered with my own question. "I can't leave ol' Kitty here."

"Kitty?" He raised a suspicious eyebrow as I grabbed my backpack from him.

"I think it fits her... She purrs like a kitten."

"Do you mean she sounds like a kitten choking on her own spit while purring? 'Cause that would be more fitting."

I gave him a scoff and hit him lightly in the shoulder. "You're just jealous because my car is prettier. Admit it."

"Will doing that let me take you home?" he bargained. His smile turned to a teasing one as he grabbed my bag and held it behind him, making it harder to grab it.