Chapter 03: "...More Of A Crybaby Than You"

"So let me get this straight. You've read all of those letters? Obviously the answer is yes, because that's-that's normal to you. Hm, just...weird....to me. Just not used to things like that."

That made me remember his audio files. He had asked earlier if I still had them. They were on my tiny laptop that I owners, I had sent them from the other computer at the station. I guess he wanted to know so I tapped him and patted a cushion on the couch for him to sit on.

The laptop was closed on a little stand I had by the door. I lifted it up and sat it in my lap. I went into my inbox, '4 new messages', it said. I played one of them:

"First thing first because this message isn't being typed so I have a limited amount of time. I am--"

I paused the recording. Wheatley was staring at the screen and occasionally at me. He seemed surprised that I still had them, even though it hadn't been long.

"That's me?" He asked. I nodded in approval.

"Could-could you play the rest?"

"...so, so sorry. I don't know how you found it in that great big heart of yours to forgive me, but thank you. I just wish I were down there. I regret everything I did. I thought I was gonna help you and then I just...I just ruined everything. I always do ruin things like that. One-one second..."

I paused it there. He seemed to be concentrating on the computer. Like he was studying what he was saying. I could tell that he remembered everything else.

"Wow. I really do sound like an idiot," he said, a little less dejectedly than I thought he would. "You do know what I left for, right? It doesn't take an expert."

I knew exactly what he was doing when he left. Crying. And I would've done the same if I thought about it that deeply. And I didn't even know he could cry. There was the light shade of pink spreading across his face, a human feature that I didn't think she would forget to add.

"Eh, I'm more of a crybaby than you."

I still wasn't sure that was true. I'd felt like the biggest idiot in some situations where I just get so frustrated, even it it isn't sad or anything, and I just break down. And then when I look back at it I feel so embarrassed. He's probably embarrassed right now.

He was definitely embarrassed. He was looking down at the floor so I couldn't even see his face. I kinda felt bad for him, but I know that it's hard to comfort people without a voice and it's especially hard when you're in a situation like this. So I basically let it go.

"So I'm sure you remember the second to last message I sent you. Or was it the last? I'm not sure... Well, I meant what I said. Still probably never going to go any further than that but I'd imagine it's good for you to know," he said, looking up a little more.

He was a little shy, actually, for a person as talkative as him. It's always gonna be a little awkward knowing that he likes me like that, but it still makes me happy. He still looked a little happy, just bored. When I'm bored, I either send him a letter or message or read a book. But he and I have different personalities.

Actually, he probably would be best off with a book or something. He doesn't know about much, but a book is, well, fairly simple. He might not like the same things as I mostly read things like fantasy wizards and fairy tales and winged creatures. But I do like to read other things sometimes.

Unfortunately, the library was a bit of a walk away, but I did have one of the books. Specifically titled 'Witch and Wizard'. One of my favorites, it was written well by James Patterson.