Chapter 04: '...and I Forgive You'

Wheatley has seemed to have gotten used to the house a bit, and he hasn't been doing too much. I've allowed him to read a book that I had-one of the few that wasn't a 'Witch and wizard' fantasy-and he seems to be devoting most of his time to it.

But he's unnaturally quiet. I feel like he's waiting to say something and, I'm not going to lie, I'm not too comfortable with love yet. He's only an acquaintance to me as of now, a bit of a friend.

We were both sitting on the couch; he was reading his book. Apparently, he doesn't actually have to eat, I keep forgetting that he's not a full human. He wasn't very brave either, I had found that out yesterday, when he was literally scared of his own shadow. I laughed when it happened, and that had actually made him a bit sad.

I remember trying to apologize so desperately on our way back to the house, (we were at the library) I was a little desperate. I tried to hug him at one point, well, I did. I just felt bad, really, he's just so fragile and easy to get to. I hate seeing him like that.

"Uh, hey," he began. "...I-I know that I've told you this before, but I just wanted to-to reassure you because it's still getting to me a bit. Just, you know, that I'm sorry and that I really do care for you. I'm really not just saying that, Chell. Hm, finally said your name out loud...funny, I've never said it before..."

I looked at him, hoping he would continue.

"Anyway, uh, I just wanted to actually get a chance to say this to you in person because...I-I just feel like later on I won't have a good chance to say it again, so. Basically, I just-I'm really, really sorry and I do wish that I didn't do any of that and, I-I just feel so bad that I did do all of it and--" I cut him off by hushing him with my finger.

My plan was to try and tell him that it's okay, but there was no good way to tell him. Then I saw my computer, still sitting in the messenger screen on my lap. The little black bar was flashing, daring me to make a response. And so I did.

'Wheatley,'

I stopped there, unsure of how to continue after the pause. He leaned over to look at the screen.

'I've told you this before, we both know this. But really, I do forgive you. There's no reason for you to think otherwise and honestly, I find it hard to believe that you're still on the subject. Remember this for me: We escaped Aperture together. She let both of us go, and all we have is each other.'

I thought that part had gotten more into the subject of us loving each other again. I was going to delete it, but I decided that it was okay.

'You probably didn't even know this, but you meant a lot to me in Aperture-you still do. What I'm trying to say is: You're all I have, and probably just about one of the only things I will have. So don't be sorry.'

I finally finished the message. He was getting teary-eyed, I could tell.

"Thanks," he said.

'...And I forgive you, Wheatley,' I typed, seeing the dejection in his tone.

He hugged me tightly, I had to grab the tiny laptop to stop it from falling. He was very happy to know that I still liked him. After a few seconds, he let go. I was sitting there blushing a bit at his reaction. And I know I can't talk, but I was speechless nonetheless.

Well, I wanted to show him that I still cared for him, and I did. He looked at the computer, still sitting on my lap and read it over.