Chapter 07: "So, The Ratt Shows Up"

"Another mural should do it for today. Glad she's finally free, right Companion Cube?"

As am I, Doug. You finally did it.

"Glad to see you're with me again. Knew I shouldn't have taken those pills. And you know she's with that robot guy too. He's that idiot who took control and ruined all of my plans to meet her and break her out."

"What now anyway? Do we just live here forever or should we escape. I mean, the surface. I only just made it before, with that bot."

You couldn't possibly be thinking of going back up there, could you?

"I have to. That's where she is, and we need to meet-I've always wanted to."

What about the supercomputer? Don't you know she's awake and well aware that her daughter is free?

"As a matter of fact, I am. I've been waiting to go back up there. So, any ideas? How should we go about sneaking past that AI?"

I suggest going a bit faster than usual. Try not to have a slow pace. Their turret supply is low after the girl helped raid the production line and the computer is distracted. It's our perfect opportunity.

"Good thinking."

Don't mention it.

"But picking up the pace isn't my sorta thing. I'll have to still hide a bit..."

I understand. Quietly running along in the shadows, avoiding the short supply of turrets and sneaking to the elevator. No distractions. Remember, Doug. You aren't a hero, heroes die.

"Believe me, I know. Any other better times to do it?"

I don't think so. She hasn't been this distracted on little things like bots since she tested the girl.

"True. Okay, well, might as well go now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, you awake?"

As long as you're awake, I'm awake.

"Right. So apparently there's no more heaps of metal in that lair any more, so we have to just run for the elevator and hope to god nothing happens. It sounds stupid, but it's the only way."

I'm okay with it.

"Good. Let's move before she blocks up this den like she did to the first few."

I slowly crawled out of the small den, revealing a catwalk. I looked to my cube for directions.

Right, turn right.

I did as told and ran down the catwalk quickly. There were some stairs that I walked down, then there was a slope leading downward and into a dark cubes and glowing cubes rushing around in tubes. I saw a place to shoot a portal, though, I'd left it at the den thinking it was dead weight now.

The tube! It's broken...you know what you need to do.

"I'm gonna regret this," I muttered to myself, jumping into the tube with my cube in hand.

Not if the plan works you won't.

The tube lead us on for about five minutes. Could've been doing laundry, really. We dropped, eventually, near a long but slightly wide, black corridor.

"Here we are. This better work."

I'm sure it will.

I ran down the corridor, turned left, and found myself at the grey door that slid open for me to enter. I quickly moved over to the side of the door, and peered into her chamber.

She's distracted. Go!

I took his advice the best I could and ran around and into the lair, frantically looking around for the elevator. I saw an orange portal with...the wheat field! They removed the elevator.

I dashed towards the other side of the room as quickly as I could. She finally noticed me, but I kept running.

Hurry, hurry!

I ran as fast as I could to the portal now, breathing heavily.

"Oh, you little..."

She closed the portal just before I ran into it, I nearly rammed into a wall.

"I hope you didn't plan on leaving so soon," she said, coldly. "I'll have you know that I've let TWO people escape this week. And it was--"

"I KNOW! YOU LET THE GUY AND THE GIRL ESCAPE! Geez, just tell me what you're getting at! All I wanted to do was see the girl again," I said, angrily.

She picked me up with her mechanical claw and left my cube to stay by the closed portal.

"Oh, you're the rat. So the Ratt shows up, finally, eh? Tell you what, because you're so lucky to still be alive, I'll make it easy for you. You can escape if you let me test you. And don't worry, I'll only put you through about... twenty tests."

She released me from her claw; I fell down right next to my cube, which hurt.

"The portal gun?"

"Not yet."

The portal formed in front of me, only this time I saw a test chamber on the other side. I slowly stepped through it and found myself in test chamber 1. Chamber zero was behind me, that was the cryogenic sleeping chamber.

So the plan kind of worked.

"Yeah, kinda..."

A/N:

Yeah, I'm one of those guys.

One of those guys that has to explain everything because I feel like too many people still don't understand something.

I spell it like 'Rattmann' because that's actually the proper way to spell Doug's nickname particularly.

It's not a spelling mistake lmao