Chapter 08: The Question

{Just a heads up, he's not asking her that question. Not yet. Not yet, Wheatley. I'm so sorry kill me now >.<}

So, Wheatley finally stopped hugging me. Finally. I think he was just happy before, that was all. Still though, I'm glad he's actually comfortable with being in the actual world-as that was one of my main goals to make him like that. He's talking now, the way he did before too.

Sometimes I feel like a parent doing all of these things for him, and I know that I'm not. He just needs some care and guidance. Ironic, I thought. Only two years ago he was supposed to be guiding me; We've switched positions. And now it's like the way I lived before, only now he's finally here. Like a wish coming true, really. Although, he probably wanted to come back more than I wanted him to. So more of his own wish than mine.

The point is, I'm glad that he's back. And, surprisingly enough, knowing that he likes me doesn't really make it awkward. He's been here for about a week now, and he still hasn't changed very much, as far as his personality and appearance goes. Other than the fact that he's human.

I started wondering about GLaDOS again. I'm going to start calling her Caroline, that's what she insisted. She really can be a lot like the real Caroline that had spoke before. Last time I was there she'd explained what had happened: She was put into GLaDOS, forcefully, and she's really just trapped. That's why she poisoned the facility, she was just angry. That's when the cores came in.

She'd mentioned the cores before, but I never really felt like I understood her until now. Probably because I had better things to worry about, like destroying someone who's taken over her body. Or at least trying to, although he's back now. Ugh, I feel like I should be hating his guts but I don't. Is it because he likes me? Or is it just because I feel bad.

I need to stop thinking about that; It's not helping anyone to think about the past, even though the past is what made my present. With him. And I still can't figure out if it's good or not. No, it's good, definitely good. But it's always a reminder of Aperture. Everywhere I look is usually a reminder, but not like this.

Most things I would find would remind me about the betrayal or Cave Johnson or tests or pretty much anything that you could find there. I've almost broke down crying by looking at a potato, and that's not even the worst part. Every time I lay down in my bed, I'm scared that I might wake up in the Relaxation Center again, and so far, everything that's reminded me of Aperture is far too embarrassing for me to talk about to anyone. Including Wheatley.

So I always resorted to avoiding the subject. And Wheatley had only brought it up a few times, which is okay, I knew he would. He talks too much for it to be that unexpected. And he finished reading his book yesterday, which he was awfully happy about.

And then there's me sitting on my couch, thinking about him again. I always caught myself doing that. And it wasn't pleasant most of the time; I think a lot about why he did those things. It took me long enough to come to the conclusion that he was just effected by the body (I'm actually surprised it took me as long as it did.)

"Do you ever actually think about me in space sometimes?"

The question was surprising to me, it being as sudden as it was. I looked up at him.

"W-well. I mean...I'm sorry that came out wrong. Heh. I mean... When I was in space, the only thing- aside from the occasional 'Shut up Space Core'- that I ever thought or talked about was...usually you. I mean, yeah, Aperture, evil supercomputer, all of that. And then there's just...you. I mean I remember waking you up thinking I was in the wrong sector because you just looked so unfitting..." He paused for a moment. "Anyway, back to the point, basically I just-I just thought a lot about you and how you had escaped."

I wanted to ask what his point was, but he decided to continue the abrupt rambling.

"And-and I just thought about how I was always thinking about you. Actually, sometimes I even thought about these little scenes in my head about what would happen if I ever left space. Aw, in one of them, I fell- I got hit by some debris- and I fell down in the wheat field in a lake. I know, bloody stupid isn't it? {I'm so sorry viewers lmao} Anyway, it hadn't even, no not even once, occurred to me that you were somewhere down there (it was down because I was in space and you were down on earth and, yeah you understand) thinking about me somewhere. I dunno, I just thought about it."

His rambling is breathtaking at this point. I thought about the original question at hand; Do you ever think of me in space?

Yes. Definitely. All the time. He's constantly on my mind and usually giving me memories that I despised to relive. But now, now that he's here, it's different. I'm not looking at the past any more. I'm just making the present with the past. {brb I'm writing that down}

The new question at hand was how was I supposed to get that out to him without embarrassing myself. I'd always pictured him in space. I pictured him floating around with this gloomy look on his face. Always. And the other core always there floating by him- as if they were in orbit with each other- and rambling almost as much as Wheatley would now. Horrible thoughts. A couple of other thoughts had extended from that one like 'what if he's exposed to the ever-varying temperatures of space for so long that his system crashes, and he dies?'

Thoughts like such were usually interrupted or, even more usually, shaken off by me. I nodded to him, finally, answering his question.

"Oh, oh well...that's actually...surprising to say the least. Surprising to me any way. It's normal, I'd assume, to think about other...people," he said, fiddling with his thumbs. "Good to know I'm not...well, stupid, for liking someone to that extent."

Usually he wasn't so comfortable with mentioning that. He'd typically mention it on accident and try and play it off. It was funny, to be honest, but I know that it's more than that to him so I'm usually careful about that kind of thing. I wanted to rephrase what I meant to Wheatley. (A simple 'nod' usually wasn't satisfying enough to Chell most of the time) I grabbed the laptop again; it was still on, but in a sort of 'sleep mode' in the sense that if you closed the screen and didn't fully shut it off, it would keep you on the screen when it was to be opened up again.

As expected, it was still on the messaging chat web page. Wheatley was already staring at the screen immediately. 3 Words had already been locked inside my head. {IT ISN'T I LOVE YOU PLEASE STOP NOT YET}

I missed you.

IMPORTANT A/N:

The most misleading chapter ever lmao.

I'm here to apologize for one thing and ask about another. So, you all know that my current most popular book is on hold. Well...I've read the book over...and I've decided...that it sucks. The book is so bad I can't. But I want to know if I should discontinue it. The last chapter that I wrote was based on a SANDWICH.

A

SANDWICH.

I'm sorry, I hate my work cx but I'm just not sure about keeping it. It sucks, and if you disagree then I don't know what kind of standards your using (hopefully not your own.) The other thing I wanted to apologize for is my little break. I haven't updated since I think a week(?) Anyway, I apologize for that...

Also, getting back on the subject of Tranquility Ignoramus, really the only thing I had that was good (other than making it cute) was the thing about not making a bunch of good things happen. Bad things actually happened, not that many, but bad things.

Oh, and you can expect me not to fail as much with that in this book. 😉