Chapter 06: "My Daughter"

I lead him down the stairs. He seemed a little bit reluctant to leave at first but now he's okay with it. I needed to see her again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally. The shed. We're back, and I want answers. I know that there's a reason she just 'let me go'. There's a reason why she's nice, and I can't stop thinking about it.

"W-wait so we're-we're going back?" He whimpered. "Because I-I'm going to be honest, I liked it much better at the apartment, it had this one lovely painting and--" I cut him off with a sort of 'Really?' look, causing him to let out a sigh.

"Fine, as long as we aren't staying."

She probably isn't even nice at all, she just wanted me gone. The key was still in the hole, and it was turned as well. I opened it up and walked through the portal.

"Oh, you're back again. That was a bit...early. So, let me guess, you want him to be a core again? No wait, you want to see the rest of the cores. Well, they're still in space and--" I shook my head. "What does it take to satisfy you? I let you escape, gave you the moron, I said sorry, what else could my daughter--"

I looked at her, concerned.

"Oh, right, heh. My daughter. You want answers. You came to the right place, not that you had a choice, but you're lucky I care for you. So, uh, yes, I was your mother before. Personally, though, I wouldn't like to think of myself as a mother," she said. "I have enough responsibilities. Subjects, bots, companion cubes, birds, turrets, and occasionally, him," she said, looking at the scared Wheatley behind me.

"The point is, I'm not a good mother. Especially not in this body. I mean, well, yes. That's why I let you go, and that's why I have you the moron. I knocked him into space because I thought you wanted me to, then I brought him back when I discovered that you didn't. But that's only where Wheatley is involved in the story. You remember Mr. Johnson? I was his assistant and he was the one who put me into this chassis," she said.

"So, basically, you're her mom?"

"Yes, moron, I'm her mom."

"And she's your d-daughter?"

She sighed, and replied with a stern 'Yes, she's my daughter.' We talked for a bit, something we never really got to do, and it felt a bit good to actually bond with someone who I was sure was an enemy. Once, she had asked about Ellowyn. Wheatley told her that she was just a friend of mine. GLaDOS, of course, made a snicker and went on about me liking her more than him, causing him to quickly add 'O-bviously, that's not true. We've known each other far longer than she has, right luv?'

On our way back, we returned Wheatley's-now finished-book. He was a lot happier now, actually, and a lot less quiet. Just like before, just the way I liked him to be. He's better that way, and it's never annoying to me.

Back at the apartment complex, he hugged me again, and I'm not even sure why. I think it's just an instinct to him, well, technically it's an instinct to everyone. He just stood there and looked at me for a second, then he leaned forward and hugged me while he smiled. It's not weird, actually, he's kinda cute when he does it.

"You remember when I was in control? Well, shouldn't even bother asking that, really. Of course you remember, everyone remembers...well, everyone except for, the people who...you understand. Uh, so, you remember that. Well, you know what part I can't forget? I can't forget the uh, the-the mashy-spike plates."

I raised an eyebrow, signaling him I continue.

"...And you...you know! You know exactly what you did-you came back! I feel like a bloody imbecile, you still cared... And that's one of the reasons why I'm doing all of this, because I keep on thinking about-about how loyal someone has to be to literally listen to the evil, monstrous, idiot when-when he tells you to come back. The more I think about it, the worse I feel, and that's why I keep saying sorry so much...

I'm sorry, by the way."