Chapter Thirteen

Leaving nannys, I went back to see Cordell. I was thinking of the life I had, when it was just me and Aurora . Soon, one by one, more and more kids popped out of that women we call mom. It's not like our parents had any less time for us, but daddy did everything to make sure we all felt equally loved. He missed three years of my life, but made up for them with a lifetime of love and protection.

Entering the building, I notice Cordell at the phone station. The front desk woman from yesterday, greeted me; sliding the clipboard over "back again".

I speak signing in, telling her we have a lot to catch up on. "Well, Mr. Shays phone time is just about up. Take a seat anywhere, and someone will let him know you're here".

I remember she implied she didn't like to interact with him, so I let it slid that she wouldn't just tell him herself. I don't want to be here all day, so any speeding of the process would help.

As I'm sitting ; watching Cordell on his phone call, he gets a little tense. He voice deepened, and his posture changed to a stiffened slouch. A nurse came over, to end the phone session early; seeing as he's getting a little hot headed. She's ready to esscort him back to his room; when he spots me.

"Please" he turns to her, motioning to me, "I have a visitor. 10 minutes?". She was still hesitant, until he whispered something to her.

"Thank you" he smiles, the nurse letting him have his way.

At first I was wondering what he could say to get what he wants in here, but thats none of my business.

Cordell sat, apoloziging for the nurse . "If I just say Shit, for dropping something; they take it as a code red. I can't even resonably get upset in here".

"Didn't you say you we up for release?" I ask concerned, forgetting for a second why I'm really here.

He grins, taking the seat in front of me "yes I did; thanks for listening. I should be out of here, maybe next month".

He gleamed happy, saying thats what his call was about, "they want to delay the discharge".

"Can they do that?".

"They can, if I don't pass an evaluation, or I stop taking my meds or something like that. But..." he sighs, "theres really nothing outside these walls for me. No family, no friends, I wouldn't be able to find work".

He's right. I try to console him, telling him that someone would give him a chance. Thinking of it, I remember ant Mollys been chatting with him since he was sentenced.

"Molly" I talk to myself . "Ant Molly, you're sister".

He shrugs, "she stopped talking to me ages ago. How is my dear sister anyway?".

"She's good, not aging. But I came here to talk about daddy".

He sat up straight, getting ready to get into the topic that is his son. "We aren't getting along these days, and I thought how much I needed him. Then I remembered, how much he most likely would have needed you. Were you guys close?".

Cordell hung his head, but it doesn't seem sincere. "That boy adored me, until he turned about 7. After that, he was a straight up and down mommas boys. I don't know what happened".

"I dont know about those younger years, but I'm sure he doesn't speak to you now; because of your wife" I half flinch, hoping I'm not overstepping.

He kept his head down, now tapping his foot. "I'm sorry if that upset you; I was just..." I start, but he buts in; asking me to leave.

"Please grandfather, I want to know him better. We can't talk without a fight".

"Just go, Jophine" he gets up, not looking at me. The waiting nurse took him back to his room, leaving me there alone and lost.