Chapter Twenty Two

REPLAY

I went to bed that night, ready to get the next day over with; for all of my worries would become known. Telling our parents of the engagement, moving in with nanny, last dinner with Ty, Molly and Shay moving out and back, cutting communication with my grandfather, and possibly telling on myself for visiting him.

There was a lot on my mind, me just hoping it all goes over well.

....

I woke up to Aurora taking my suit to wear and keep. She winked, seeing me see her. I grin, throwing my head back down on the pillow. She's probably going out to met Des, trying to be all secretive.

Not bothering to question it too much, I hop out of bed to get my day started. With everything there is to do today, I'm making my first trip to Cordell. My meeting with Browen is around noon, so I won't have to feel like I have to stay with him long.

.

"Josie, where you running to at this hour?" mom catches me grabbing a quick breakfast. I pause, spinning to see her at the table with Les "Probably hang out with Cree, but I have a few things to do today, so don't wait up".

She side eyes me, as if I think I'm so busy "okay, just be back before curfew".

"I will; right after dinner with Ty" I trail past her, giving Les a peck on the cheek.

..

Seeing as I lost the paper with Cordells address on it, I tried remembering where he now lived.

I hopped off the bus in what I'm positive is his neighbourhood. I walked around, scanning the houses for just the smallest sign of him; when there it is. I notice a house that I've seen in one of his paintings. It was bigger than the painting led on, and much less lively.

Before I could even make it to the door, or even knock; it swings open. "You came" Cordell invites me in.

Right away, I'm thinking I should have brought along Ty like he told me to do, and once he finds out I went behind his back; my ass is grass.

"Come in Jophine, can I get you anything?" he asks, making the place tidy.

As I'm glancing around, I take note of how run down the place is. There are holes in the walls, dust all over the place, and the furniture looks like it's been abandoned for years.

"No, I'm okay. Can we talk?" I ask taking a seat; distracting him from cleaning up.

He smiles, nodding; wanting my opinion on the house. I play along, telling him it's nice; which it is, minus the dirt and old decor.

Still trying to get Cordell to have a seat, he leaves to fetch us something to drink. I was already feeling bad for ditching him, now he's being extra nice.

He comes back into the living room where he left me, with two glasses of cranberry juice, a picture of it, and a bottle of crown. "Did you want some?" he hands me one glass from his hand, motioning to the liquor that is wedged between his last two fingers.

I shake my head no, "should you be drinking?". I know damn well even if he is allowed to have a drink, those meds he's on from the institution won't mix.

He gave me a sly eye, almost telling me to mind my business. I took a sip of the bitter drink in my cup, trying not to offend him "so I'm here to tell you something. It's about daddy".

"Yea?" he watches my glass, "would you like some sugar for that? That's how you like it right?".

I don't like plain cranberry juice at all, but "yes", sugar will help.

Cordell leaves and returns with some sugar in a round wooden bowl. I thank him, getting on with it "he knows you're out. He's not happy".

He acts as if the news doesn't bother him, wanting me to keep talking. I sink into my shoulders "uncle Shay isn't either. I just wanted to see you again, before...".

I'm cut off, him finally showing some interest "before what? Don't let Shaylee and Lan determine your life. Are they keeping you from me?".

I gulp my drink, now feeling a little parched "no, no. It's just, I don't want to keep going against my father's wishes. I don't want him to be disappointed in me".

"He is keeping you from me!" Cordell gets upset, "just like before. You love him more".

Feeling the need to keep drinking, I finish the juice and pour more; spooning more sugar in "granddad, I'm sorry. I thought it'd be better to tell you in person, than not at all".

I can feel my fingers getting numb, probably the stress of it all. He stood over me, pacing the floor "he always does this to me; since the day he was born... before that".

"I'm sorry he hasn't visited you, or called. Even ant Molly is struggling with this".

"That bitch" he roars.

For once, since knowing him; I'm actually a bit scared. He was so nice in the institution, and normal. I relax into the old dusty couch, needing the rest "she's really hurt granddad. They are still healing. You made a mistake".

He turns to me, giving me the creeps "did I?".

"Yes" I try to speak, but it's low.

"I am her brother, his uncle, his father. They all left me to die alone. Molly wouldn't even come and see her only brother, her only sibling. What does that say about her? Probably more than it does about me!".

Words form in my mouth, but won't come out. I'm scared, I know I am. "I'm sorry" is all I can say, but it means nothing to him.

"Granddad" I beg for his attention.

"Shut up Jophine!" he picks the bottle of liquor up from the table, "just shut up".

Confused but tired of his attitude, I try standing to leave, but something is holding me back. My body is heavy, my arms and legs now numb like my fingers. The fuck is going on.

My vision blurred around Cordell finishing what's left in the bottle, giving me a cold look. "I can't move" I faintly whisper, as everything goes dark.

He smirks, staring from the sugar to me "I know".

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Multimedia Cordell (Denzel Washington)

(RV)
RaetheCreator