Chapter Four

I go to say something witty back but his expression changes with a blink of an eye and I hold back for a moment. He looks at me and then to the space past the fence. He puts a finger to his lips and motions for us to walk further behind the fence as he holds me around the waist, making me go that way anyway. I put a confused look on but he continues on, ignoring me.

"Hey! He's over there! And he's got the Prey!" I hear some rather raspy voices cry out from the other side of the fence, in the parking lot. Wondering how they can see us, seeing as I can't see anything other than Jack and a few near by bushes now that the sun had set, I look up to Jack only to find him frozen with a terrified look on his paling face. I then notice how he's holding me tightly as if to prevent me from getting away.

Then the situation dawns on me.

Is this a set up to catch me?

"Jack. What's happening?" I ask in a tight whisper, feeling the terror in me flow down my body all the way to my fingertips and toes.

He simply looks away from my gaze and takes in a sharp breath before puffing that back out and standing tall. "I'm sorry but I have to do this." He says quickly as he swiftly whips a gun out from inside his leather jacket. Then he points it at my head after grabbing both my hands so I can't pull away. I beg with my eyes for him not to do this.

"Do what?" I hiss but my voice comes out shaky. I realise I'm making a really rubbish spy at the moment. Normally in situations like this I'd have the criminal down on the ground ready to arrest but not now. Not seeing as the criminal is none the than the man I had been wishing would return for three years.

"Stay calm, Willow. I've got it under control." He says firmly pulling me away from the fence and into the view of the men we had heard. They look positively disgusting, practically foaming at the mouth. Their shirts are dirty, stained with rips and holes accompanied nicely with some scrappy trousers and severely unkempt hair. Not to mention their creepy smiles and the guns they hold at their waist's.

"Jack." I whimper, pulling on his sleeve but he ignores me and pushes me to the ground. "I'm warning you because Robert is right inside that building and he'll get you for this!" I cry but it falls on deaf ears as the other guys chuckle under their breath.

"I can't believe how easy this was." One of them comments bluntly and the look on his face makes me uncomfortable.

"Men," Jack grunts, his voice now deeper and more authoritative as he addresses the men. "I've got this covered. Please just let me do my work."

"No way mate, a pretty thing like that? Sorry but it's boss's orders, we have to stay with your or we take over and you go." One replies in a slightly threatening tone, stepping forward. Jack doesn't back down but seems to know better than to talk back. "You think he's stupid? He knows all about the history between you two." Says the other man in a thick accent, looking between Jack and I with a raised eyebrow.

I stop my silent sobs suddenly after hearing that and Jack notices.

"What are you talking about? The fact we used to be co workers?" He questions with a scoff as he looks down at me with a sneering look on his face. "That meant nothing to me and won't get in the way, men, trust me."

"Oh that's not what we heard." Says the second man cuts in, and they exchange a look between each other before looking back at Jack and I. "lovers, correct?"

I gulp.

Nobody was suppose to know. It would ruin everything. How could they possibly have found out when back then we had kept it so well hidden?

"Wrong!"Jack shouts, letting them get to him. I was always the one thing that got to him and it dawns on me that his only option was to forget me during those years he was away. He would't have survived otherwise. I suddenly feel awful for trying to make him feel bad. I hope to myself in my head that he doesn't get too defensive because it would give it all away even more. "You couldn't be more wrong."