Chapter Twenty Six

"These guys mean business." I manage to croak.

August looks back to me. "At what point did you think otherwise?" He grimaces. I avert my eyes from him and look to Mae so I don't have to face him.

"Fair point."

He taps at my arm briefly. "I'm just kidding, you're right. I'm just also bummed because this car wasn't cheap. Repairing a shattered back window and bullet holes isn't going to be good." He sighs. "Imagine the looks on the mechanics."

I raise an eyebrow. "That's what you're concerned about right now? Stupid jokes and your slightly scratched up car?"

"Slightly scratched up?" He echoes with his mouth wide open.

"At this rate we won't be alive long enough for your precious car to be fixed! And chances are if we do manage to escape by the skin of our teeth, this car won't be coming with us!" I exclaim, finally finishing my rant and realising I'm breathing a little raggedly. "Sorry." I mumble.

"Don't worry about it. You're right yet again." He sighs heavily again. "Anyway, it's like you said, these guys mean business. They want your life, Willow. So lets get the officers plan out of the way so we can leave this evil infested place."

I nod. "Right. I'll be back in a second then." I quickly say before going to get out of the car but August puts out a hand a stops me. "What are you doing? Dozens of men are trying to kill me at this very moment!" It sounds super dramatic and it is but it's true nonetheless and I see the thought cross August's mind before his mouth stretches into a line.

"I can't let you go on your own!"

"I'm not, I'm taking Mae." I retort.

His mouth fall open again. "What?"

"I can't leave her out here, August, in a smashed up car!"

He starts to looks a little hurt. "Well I'm with her, aren't I? It's not safe to take her out there either!"

I grit my jaw tightly. "Well, who's the parent here?" I seethe perhaps a little too harshly and he sinks back in his chair a little, nodding slowly.

"Sorry." He apologises. "You're right, just... hurry, please. I'll keep an eye out for anything and take care of them if I have to." He then goes back into the glove box and draws out a gun.

I can't allow guilt to then take over from my rash comment so I decide to heed take his advice and just go when he takes in a breath suddenly. I follow his gaze to the end of the road where I catch a look at the end of a car as it whizzes past and disappears behind a building. Quickly realising it's one of the cars that had tailed us, August and I slowly turn and look to each other. "They're too close already." He murmurs as he reaches over and opens my door, resting his other hand on my knee. Sighing, he adds, "the shop is round the corner and straight away on your left. Hurry."

I nod and take a long look into his eyes when the strangest feeling washes over me. I reach out and brush my fingers down his face slowly before I pull them away like he's hot to touch. I then jump out of the car and go round to Mae's side, snatching her up into my arms and placing that doll finally back in her palms. I want to say one last thing to August but nothing comes to mind so I just give him a smile, which he returns, and then I leave.

The walk from the car to the front of the shop is nerve wracking, especially when I have to turn the corner where August won't be able to see me anymore. He probably chose to park down the hidden alley instead of where Smith told us to park because we're more out of sight but I regret not telling him to park closer.

I go to place my free palm on the door handle when I see a vehicle in the corner of my eye. He's pretty far away but by the significant colours of the car, I can already tell that it's Smith in his police car. I feel as if three large planets have been lifted off my shoulders as I push the door open and step in to the shop, a thousand times more confident than before. I head over to the counter where an old lady greets me kindly and takes some random order I blabber. Mae begs for some chips too so I give in and ask for some for her as well. The lady tells me the order will take about five minutes which is when I agree and then go to take a seat well away from the window.