Chapter Twenty Three

The scenery outside the car becomes more and more blurred as August puts his foot down. Jack is becoming increasingly hot on our tail and I can tell he's tense about it. When I go to check out the back window, my gaze falls on my little girl and somewhere deep down I feel a panic. The closest thing to mother instinct I'll probably every feel. I place a hand on August's arm and give him a worried look so he knows to slow down a little.

He's putting all three of our lives in danger.

"I can't just slow down, Willow. He's already only a car's distance away now as it is." He grunts, his jaw becoming tight.

"At this rate, we'll all die in a car crash anyway!"

A side road comes into view and he abruptly turns the wheel, sending us spinning down it. I grab onto the inside door handle and hold it tight, not taking my eyes off my baby for a second. She shakes around in the seat a little but the straps hold her in pretty well. She watches me as carefully as I am her and though she isn't upset yet, she seems to becoming more unsettled by the second.

"August!" I cry out but it seems he's in another world.

The road quickly becomes a dead end and he cries out in frustration. He attempts to full lock the wheel and do a turn but its too tight so he pulls the car to a stop and puts his head into his hands for a second. Jack's car is suddenly right behind us and pulling up along our left side as I whip off my seatbelt and launch myself in the back to hide my daughter.

Jack cannot see her. Not now when I've managed to keep her concealed for so long!

"August, please get rid of him!" I cry, unbuckling Mae from her seat and placing her carefully on the floor by my feet. I then crouch down over her, trying to steady my breathing, knowing that otherwise I'll just be panicking her.

The last thing I need is for her to start crying.

August then kicks into action when it looks like he suddenly has an idea. He throws himself across to the passenger side and opens the glove box, revealing a few handy pistols. He snatches one up and jumps out the car without a second thought, hurrying over to where Jack now pensively stands.

I know it's silly trying to hide and it probably makes me look far more suspicious but for some reason I can't help but feel this is the right thing to do to protect my daughter.

I watch over my shoulder through one of the windows and August approaches Jack. They've both got a gun pointed at each other and I can't help but gulp nervously. They look like they talk for a short moment before Jack comes well into my view, past August's shoulder and he takes a good look at me.

I try to crouch down further but it's no use. "Mama?" Mae's little voice whimpers. She's been so good throughout all of this, not a sound coming from her till now. Then again she has got two very skilled agents as parents. Perhaps this is her instinct.

Jack looks like he begins to make his way over to me but that's when August moves from his place in front of the car where he was hiding me from view and launches himself at Jack as they both go crashing to the floor in a heap. They fight for a short while and I can't help but become more impatient and worried. Suddenly, Jack gets back up but I can't see August.

"Willow, get out the car." He growls loudly with such fierceness that lose my breath for a second. I know he can see me and staying in the car will only be more of a danger when it comes to him seeing Mae. I sit up slowly, looking right at him as he approaches the car.

"Mae, honey. Can you stay down there and hide for mummy?" I ask with a soft voice, very quietly and she nods sweetly. "Good girl, I'll come back in a second." I add, still not taking my eyes off Jack and making sure that my lips hardly move. I then pull on the door handle and get out of the car, not too fast though with my bad ankle still playing up.